Advertisement
Remove

Chapter 3: Elementary test

The first day of the Elementary magic school finally arrived.

Normally this event didn't have anything to do with me as I wasn't seven years old yet, but it was also the moment of the Elementary Test. 

Indeed, even if many other compulsory bits of knowledge were taught in this place, this school was above all mandatory to help the children of the Kingdom take their first steps in magic. 

If a child showed signs of natural talent concerning magic, then that child would have the opportunity to go to a magic university in another town a few years later.

For that reason, on the introduction day, a test was always held to determine the mana capacity of each individual.

This was the famous Elementary test held most of the time for seven-years-old children.

I stood out like a sore thumb in the crowd as I was two years younger than most of the children attending.

I was only five years old, so I had to enter the Primary school to learn the basic knowledge of this world like reading and writing. However, in order to let me take the test earlier, Aten spoke on my behalf to the director who was also the old mayor of the town.

I entered the large building filled with children older than me and quickly looked around. It was easy to tell with a single glance that there were several groups of children of different ages.

I didn't have much time to observe my surroundings or to care about the curious glances sent in my direction because the Testing ceremony quickly began.

My father was unable to come due to work, so I patiently waited only with my mother as the names of various children were called out.

Each child walked up toward a large transparent stone on the rostrum.

When my name was called, I let go of the hand of my mother and calmly walked to the front of the audience where the teachers awaited me near this testing device.

I was explained beforehand how the test would be carried out.

The test wasn't difficult or complicated as the only thing each child had to do was to firmly place their hands on this mysterious stone until it gave off some sort of reaction.

At first, I thought it would show a numerical value but the crystal could only shine brighter, and grow increasingly red, the greater your mana pool was.

Crappy stuff.

I finally arrived near the stone and glanced at the crowd.

They all calmly looked back at me.

I wasn't shy or anything, but the look of judgment in their eyes made me slightly hesitate. They all seemed to wonder why I was here. I also saw a few mocking smiles.

It seemed like my reputation preceded me once again.

With my mix-brown and red hair along with my famous mother, I was easily recognizable after all. 

I tried to ignore their stares and turned my focus completely upon the mysterious stone. It was around the size of a tennis ball.

I calmly laid my hand over it.

From the corner of my eye, I could see a few members of the crowd clearly expecting me to fail.

I waited a few seconds until…nothing.

The crowd of kids laughed to their heart's content seeing that the stone didn’t give off any sort of shine.

The recommended age to take this test was usually at the age of seven, because in the extreme majority of people; it was found that children would awaken their ability to use mana at that age.

The fact that I passed the test two years earlier showed that I was confident in the fact that I awoke my ability to use mana.

However, the stone didn’t seem to agree as it strictly refused to give off any kind of reaction.

At that moment, I began to come up with a few explanations.

Too young to pass this test.

Not focused enough.

And the worst of all, I couldn't use mana.

In my mind, I silently cursed myself for thinking of this worst possible explanation for this predicament.

Each Human had a mana pool, important or ridiculous, but some of them couldn't draw the mana from it no matter what.

I looked at the crowd of children roaring with laughter. They didn't even try to restrain themselves despite the reproving gazes of the adults around them.

The teachers and the director also looked quite uncomfortable as they nervously gazed at my mother.

Following their gazes, I saw the person I was the most reluctant to disappoint.

My mother.

Her face grew as red as her drills, but not from embarrassment and shame.

It was wrath.

She emanated a faint sense of bloodlust toward everyone in the room, even the teachers besides me shivered out of fear.

Shit. She’s gonna raze the building to the ground. I must sto-.

Suddenly, a huge burst of light emanated from the stone.

It was so bright that I squinted my eyes from its radiant shine. Soon after, the white light immediately turned crimson red and the next moment the crystal shattered under my hand.

This tale has been pilfered from Royal Road. If found on Amazon, kindly file a report.


“Huh.”

A long silence followed.

Nobody was able to immediately react to this kind of sudden change. Not until an old man on stage spoke up to break the silence.

He was wearing a long white blouse strangely fitting with his deathly pale face.

“Well…this is rather surprising. I’m sorry about our defective crystal. Don’t worry, take a new one and start again.”

This old man, who seemed ready to die at any moment, was the director of the school and the mayor of the town. His voice was deep and immediately settled the children inside the large building.

His deep voice along with his calm face clearly showed that he wasn't panicking or flustered by this event, unlike the other children and adults present.

He was probably sure that it was a problem with the crystal.

I agreed with him, so I started over.

*Bang*

The same thing happened again, but this time even faster.

After this, I immediately looked at my mother who was showing me a dazzling proud smile. I changed my focus toward the children awaiting their turn who were completely dumbfounded.

“The retarded is a genius?” exclaimed a young voice from the crowd of children.

From this day onward, without my consent, I was known as the ‘genius retard'

Not sure this was really a progress. 

Well, at least I became a genius.

But I still hated that nickname.

—————————————————————————————————

The next morning was the start of the opening day of my Primary school that welcomed children from five years old. Even if I passed the Elementary test, that didn't mean that I could decently skip this important part of my education and directly enter the Elementary school.

This Primary school taught children basic skills such as reading, writing, math and a few basic knowledge of magic.

The entire program would only last two years. It was separated into two halves. The first half would be about basic knowledge of this world, whereas the latter would be about learning the basic of magic and history.

It was a simple system.

I was quite happy about my performance yesterday. My parents were too. As soon as I arrived home, my mother instantly began praising me; saying words such as genius, incredible and cute.

If I didn't have the memories from my previous life, I would probably have turned out like Julian, an obnoxious and arrogant kid.

On my way to school, I met Gaya.

She barely spoke, but I always felt relaxed in her presence.

As we continued to walk together, I constantly heard whispers coming from the surrounding children and adults that walked by us. Many emotions could be felt toward me.

Mostly envy, but also approbation. Some individuals also seemed to hold some kind of respect toward me.

I wasn't really surprised as I already learned that my parents were quite famous in the town even if I didn't really know why.

In class, I sat next to Gaya as we quietly listened to our teacher, an old man with a gray beard and gray hair that seemed to stretch out to his waist. He was dressed in a gray cloak that went down to his feet.

This guy was gray from head to toe.

If he was a mage, I would call him Gandalf.

The lesson was about magic.

"..."

It was just a basic introduction.

The more complex lessons were going to take place during the second half of the program and in the Elementary school when we turn seven.

I was aware of almost everything except for the system of classification.

In this world, magic was separated into seven ranks for the four types of elemental magic.

Basic, intermediary, advance, scholar, wise, saint and master.

Being a master of an element meant exactly what it sounded like, having absolute control of your element. It was something exceptional that only a handful of people were able to reach. Once you were a Master mage, you would receive the title of Archmage and be eligible to enter the magic council.

For the other ranks, it was a little more particular.

A basic mage had to be able to manifest their element on their body.

An intermediary mage had to make the element interact with other objects like you would when you make water boil with fire magic only by touching the surface.

Advanced level magic was about influencing the environment without any form of physical contact. This was where the legendary fireball spell came on stage.

For the other rank, Gandalf (Yes, he was a mage) told us that it was so out of our range that it was not worth telling us. Those having the potential to become a mage of this level would have to attend a magic university.

The lesson ended with an explanation about healing magic. Aside from the elves who were capable of using nature magic that could heal to a certain extent, there was almost nothing for humans who didn't become powerful water mages.

I almost shouted in indignation when I heard that.

Seeing our faces, Gandalf rapidly added that along the time we were able to make some progress by using the four basic elements. Like using earth magic against broken bones, fire to close wound, air magic from the inside to help against pulmonary diseases and water magic to help the body recuperate by manipulating water inside the human body. 

However, in the end, only truly skillful water mages could become true healers and develop a power of healing similar to the elves.

Hearing his explanations, I tried to console myself by thinking that they at least had some knowledge, even if they obviously didn’t have a clue about cells and atoms.

—————————————————————————————————

Time flew by without anything interesting happening. It was a truly peaceful period of time.

Well, except for one big exception.

Two months after I started school, my mother called me.

“Sillath, can you come here? We have something to tell you.”

Hearing this, I tensed.

Did I do something to make them angry? No, my role as a cute, genius son was perfect… I think…

I approached reluctantly.

She took a deep breath before a radiant smile illuminated her face.

“You will have a little brother or sister soon.”

Ouf, I thought they discovered about the time I… Wait…

“WHAT!”

I couldn’t help but raise my voice.

“Calm down, calm down son. Are you not happy?” My father asked with a slight frown on his face.

I didn't know if I was happy or not. I was a terrible brother to Jordan in my previous life after all. I wasn't sure to know what it meant to be a good brother.

“Yes, I’m happy. It’s just that…”

I looked down, pondering about what I should say.

“What is it, sweetheart?” my mother urged.

I looked up and immediately saw the uneasiness in their eyes.

What was I doing? It was supposed to be a happy moment, but I was just ruining it by overthinking. 

I took a deep breath before answering.

“I was just afraid that I wouldn’t make a good brother.”

“What are you saying, that’s not true. You will be a great brother.”

“Yes, I’m sure of that too.” my father added.

I smiled at them.

“I swear I will do everything I can to be one. I’ll be the best big brother there is.”

They both smiled and took me into their arms.

I’ll make it right this time.

For Jordan’s sake.

For those parents who showed me love and hope in my darkest moments.

I silently hugged my parents while swearing in my heart.

At that time, I didn’t know that this wish would never come true.

Advertisement
Remove

Support "Sacred Brother"

About the author

kaoxx287

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(13)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In