Advertisement
Remove
Chapter 6: The reward for work well done


Durabo could hear a sweet voice calling out to him, probably trying to apologize. A few words and some hand gestures and it wouldn’t be a problem in the immediate future. A big rock wall at the only exit will do that for you. Ignoring the fact that his heart told him to let it down and hear her out he strode across the plaza. Slowly but surely letting his emotions be swallowed by the serene state of mind. No use dwelling on the past, no matter how tempting it was.

He had always enjoyed the sun on his face every time he set foot outside the library, and this time it should have been no different since he had spent months deep within the earth. Yet he could barely feel the warmth of its touch on his face, as he strode across the plaza.

When he entered the Guild house he was mildly surprised. There were a few young elves standing in line waiting for their turn to speak with Tenarian. Getting in line he wondered how the system would handle this whole quest business. From what he could hear the ones in front of him were all trying to become mages. Apparently it’s something that happens once a month for the NPCs around here.
It took no more than five minutes for it to become Durabo’s turn. None of the hopeful youths in front of him had what it took.

“Oh hello young Durabo.”Tenarian said with a small smile. “What can I do for you today?”

Well he might have lost two friends today, but some people at least still knows his name.

“Hi Tenarian.“ He said with a respectful voice. “I have done a quest, and it seems I need to turn it in here.”

Tenarian’s brow furrowed at the end of Durabo’s words.

“Hmm, show me the quest log and we shall see.” Tenarian replied.

‘Show quest log: The rot beneath the city. Tenarian.’ He thought.

At first Tenarian looked calm enough, but after a few minutes he had finished and his face showed true surprise.

“I am sorry to say so, but the reception is closed for the day, please come back another time.” Tenarian said with a voice just loud enough to be heard by all in the room. “Follow me young mage, we have things to discuss.”

So saying he got up and left through a door to the left behind the desk. Hesitantly Durabo followed him. You know the feeling when you accidentally get behind the desk while shopping? That instant realization that you are at the wrong place. That’s how Durabo felt when he stepped around the back of that reception desk.  

They went down a set of spiral stairs and then walked for fifty meters or so along a stone corridor before going up another spiral staircase. Silent but for the low sputtering sound of the torches on the walls.

You have entered a Zone
All magic and mana based skills are disabled for everyone but members of the Mage Guild and the church of Arcania.


‘Wait a minute, I’m in the tower?’

Durabo found himself in the great reception hall of The Tower. Tenarian walked with quick confident steps towards a small door across from where they came in. The simple wooden door had a stylized flame carved on it. Not really that odd considering where the were.

Behind the door was a simple room with a round dark wooden table in the middle and seven chairs around it. Tenarian gestured for Durabo to take a seat before seating himself. Tenarian then cleared his throat.

“Now I have some questions, and things I would like to have explained.” Tenarian said, his face neutral and voice solemn.

Glad for his mental training at this moment, Durabo answered unhurriedly.

“Ask away, whatever is mine to tell will be yours to know.” He said, a small smirk on his lips. Old habits are hard to kill apparently.

“Where did you learn of the existence of the Catacombs?”

Durabo considered throwing her under the bus, but in the end she didn’t deserve it. Besides the time with her had been nice.

“That’s one of the things that isn’t for me to say Tenarian.” Durabo answered, while looking Tenarian in the eye. He would never lie, but he will not get his whatever the hell she is in trouble either.

Tenarian studied him for a moment, then something akin to respect entered them.

“Tell me what you did from the beginning of the quest til the end then.”

Durabo took a moment to collect his thoughts, makings sure he didn’t miss something.

“Well to begin with I simply killed the Bloods with magic trying to exterminate them per the objective of the first quest. While I mapped out the Catacombs, using a skill granted to me by the Adventurers Guild.

It took me about a fortnight to map all of them after which I discovered a stairway guarded by what I at the time seemed to be a weird Black Blood.”

Durabo shifted a little in his seat. Trying to get comfortable before continuing.

“I then returned to the surface and resupplied before heading down to the second floor. Thinking I might be down there for awhile.

Not so long after that I was attacked by one of these weird Bloods using fear based Mind magic. I defeated the magic and killed it. In the process I got the stat willpower, which was enough for me to resist the enchantment all of the elves were under disguising them as Bloods.”

While he talked Tenarian just studied him intently. Durabo was beginning to feel the pressure of his old knowing eyes on him.

“After getting the stat the quest changed to indicate I should figure out what was going on. I deduced that the leader of the elves was more than likely a Mind mage and the only reason for him to be here was to do harm to Vetas. The quest changed once more to indicate I was right.

From there I started by closing off all ways to the surface in order to deprive him of his resources. Thinking that his greatest strength was probably in his ability to bend other to his will. For the same reason I made sure to battle Mind mages for longer while clearing the dungeon, so as to enable myself to resist his magic.

By the time I got to him he had some sword skill but not much else and the fight was relatively easy.“

Tenarian just looked at him for a moment a shadow of something in his eyes.

“That is almost exactly how the Codai says to handle the type of renegade we colloquially call army makers.” Tenarian said, mirth and respect intermingled in his tone.

His eyes then turned serious. Durabo felt a sliver of fear, what if Mind magic made you a renegade?

“You know to much and have shown too much talent for me to let you go.” Tenarian took something out of his sleeve while saying so.

A simple iron ring clinked to the table between the two of them. Durabo’s interest having been piqued, took it and studied it. While it was made primarily from iron a small silver flame had been engraved on it. The same flame as was on the door.

“That there is the signet ring of an inquisitor.” Tenarian smiled a genuine smile here. “It’s your signet ring if you are willing to take the Oath and become a part of my order.”

If there ever was a time to come clean, now was it.

“You’re aware that I’ve absorbed Elandriel’s grimoire right?” Durabo asked, apprehensive.

A big smile appeared on Tenarian’s face as he answered:

“Yes, I am well aware of that fact young one.” A serious glint entered his eyes although the smile was still present.” I caution you to only use that magic when absolutely necessary.”

“What would be my responsibilities and duties if I joined? What is the purpose and goals of your order?” Durabo asked, since he figured he might as well consider the job offer carefully.  

“Well as for the order, it has a divine edict to ensure that the Gift of Arcania is not misused, as well as make sure that all practitioners of the Black Arts are dealt with.” Tenarian said while a hard note entered his voice. “Your responsibility would be to enforce that. As in you would hunt down renegades, people twisted by magic and powers they should not have used. ”

After that Tenarian was silent. Indicating he was willing to let Durabo consider the whole becoming an inquisitor thing in peace. There were some pros in the job of an inquisitor. First and foremost the fact that he would more than likely encounter a lot of different types of magic, as well as gain favor with Arcania, goddess of the arcane. Not a bad deal. Problem was whether being an inquisitor would mean giving up his autonomy.

“Would I always be on missions or would I have the time to do other things besides being an inquisitor.” He asked and added with a small smile. “If I’ll be able to have some freedom in my everyday life I would be more than happy to join.”

“You are free to do what you will between missions, and most inquisitors have an assignment or two a year. “ Tenarian said. “Of course that may prove to be different for you, we do not have as many mages in our ranks as we would like.“

Well that didn’t sound too bad in his opinion. Besides there is bound to be a lot of authority associated with being an inquisitor.

“Alright, what do I need to do to sign up?” Durabo asked, a boyish grin on his face and barely hidden mischief in his grey eyes.

“Follow me, I’ll swear you in immediately.” Tenarian said while rising, then muttered beneath his breath.”Before she notices what I am doing.”

Durabo rose as well and followed Tenarian through one of the doors in the room. It led to yet another staircase leading down into a big round chamber. In the middle of that chamber was an ornate brazier above which a silver flame burned.

“Put the ring on your right hand and put your hand in the flame.” Tenarian said while gesturing at the brazier. How come Tenarian was suddenly so gruff and curt?

Durabo did as he was told, even though the thought of getting burned once more filled him with a quiet sort of dread. Hesitantly he put his hand inside the silver flame, and was delighted by the feeling of it. It didn’t burn him, no it was like putting your hand in a warm liquid instead, rather nice in it’s own way.

Tenarian watched him put his hand in the flame and then nodded.

“Repeat after me Durabo.” Said Tenarian and made sure he had understood before he continued.

“I dedicate my life and my soul to Arcania ,the silver goddess, now and forever.” Tenarian intoned, voice heavy with meaning.

“I dedicate my life and my soul to Arcania ,the silver goddess, now and forever.” Durabo said, for once with no hint of a smile or mischief. That’s one serious promise when you know the gods are real.

“I will revere her Gift and all righteous practitioners of it.” Tenarian once more intoned.

“I will revere her Gift and all righteous practitioners of it.” Said Durabo, now the Gift of magic was the whole reason he even played this game. How could he not revere it?

“I will not misuse her Gift, nor lead others to misuse it.” Tenarian said, his voice and inflection not changing one iota while speaking any of these sentences.

“I will not misuse her Gift, nor lead others to misuse it.” He said.

“I will not permit the misuse of her Gift, and I will hunt down those that do.” Tenarian said, a hint of something in his voice.

“I will not permit the misuse of her Gift, and I will hunt down those that do.” Durabo said, and as he did so the silver flame grew brighter and hotter.

Tenarian looked a little pleased at that as he continued.

“I will always answer the Call no matter the price or peril.” Tenarian said, and as he did some hidden mirth appeared in his eyes.

“I will always answer the Call, no matter the price or peril.” The silver flame was now as hot as normal flames, yet his skin did not burn. Sadistic bastard.

“I will not let people know of my purpose, unless it serves my Oath.” Now the mirth had even crept into his voice.

“I will not let people know of my purpose, unless it serves my Oath.” The flame become even hotter and the color of it grew brighter, now it was almost incandescent. It took a great deal of willpower to keep his hand immobile.

“I hereby swear to always follow the tenets of the Oath.” Said Tenarian serious once more.

“I hereby swear to always follow the tenets of the Oath.” A flash of incandescent light and the silver flame returned to it previous pleasant temperature.

Job changed
You now have the job Silver Inquisitor. With all the responsibilities inherent in that position.


“You can take your hand out now.” Tenarian said, then smiled.” Welcome to the order of the Silver Flame”

Durabo did just that, not willing to chance it. As he did so Tenarian handed him a small leather bound book. Where he got it from only the Silver Goddess may know.

“This is the Codai, I suggest you read it as fast as possible.” Tenarian said, then he looked like he realized something. “Oh I nearly forgot in my haste. Would you please give me Elandriel’s sword? Only initiates in the order of the Blackened Earth are allowed to carry those blades.”

Durabo unbuckled his belt and handed the sword and scabbard over. Sorry to see it go, but truthfully it should probably not be in circulation anyway.  

“Now I have a task for you, Durabo.” Tenarian said, and then a window appeared in front of Durabo.

Quest: Prove your worth :
Time Limit:One monthRank:Job QuestType:Elimination
As a new inquisitor you have been tasked with the elimination of a Witch reported to be in the small hunting settlement of Fursreach two days north of Auril.
You have been granted access to the Portal in order to ensure you arrive at Auril.
When done you may take the Auril Portal back to Vetas.


The quest was automatically accepted. So he just closed the window and looked at Tenarian. He contemplated whether to ask for a monetary reward for his catacombs quest, but thought if there was one it would already be in his hands. So instead he just said his goodbyes and headed out. While walking he inspected the only material gain he had gotten out of this deal, not that the immaterial gain was anywhere near bad.

Ring of the Silver Flame:
Rarity:Very RareType:Jewelry(Ring)Soulbound
Description:
The ring that proves the wearer is an initiate member in the order of the Silver Flame. It has many magical properties, but the greatest is the fact that it grows for every deed done by the wearer in the name of the order and the Silver Goddess.
Stats:RestrictionsEffects:
Durabilty: InfiniteJob: Silver Inquisitor10 Willpower.
Able to cast Farscry with the right ritual.


Durabo was pleasantly surprised by the ring. The Order had found a way to reward its members without having a need to return after every mission. Quite clever actually. How they had done was a question he would really like the answer to, but he doubted he would get it anytime soon. The Codai more than likely had the instructions on how to do the ritual, as far as he knew farscry was a specific ritual that connected two reflective sources so as to enable communication across great distances.

When Durabo stepped outside the Tower, this time via the main entrance. The first thing he saw, was the tower like library. A pang of regret wormed its way into his otherwise calm and serene mind. Briefly the image of a crooked little smile and mischievous blue eyes set his heart to beating. He pushed that thought down hard, while his mind fled farther into the calm. He had things to do, places to be and no room for her in his life anymore.

Now he had a lot of things to buy, as well as a lot of things to learn and in this world like any other that would cost him. So first thing that needed to be done was the selling of his hard earned loot. Since most of it was metals, candlesticks, swords and other metallic items he thought that selling it to a blacksmith might be the way to go.

Finding a blacksmith or the blacksmith’s section of a city proved to be rather easy. You just have to follow the big plumes of white smoke, smell of burning coal, and the sounds of metal beating against metal. In Vetas that means heading towards the north-east section of the city. Well truthfully the only reason this worked was because this after all was a fantasy world and therefore all the smithies had set up shop right next to each other.

While he walked through the cobbled streets he saw a lot of players, this city was in a growth spurt as a starter city for some reason. Glad he wasn’t the only one seeing its potential he studied the newbies trying to see whether there were more mages amongst them. Sadly the only robe wearing ones amongst them bore the circle and pentagram of the Arcanian church. So the rise in players might be because some site or other has declare that the clergymen of Arcania were powerful? Seems likely since they get some of the powers of a mage without needing to do near the same amount of work. Alongside the normal powers of healing of course. Thinking about it further they really did seem rather cheaty.

Durabo did get an odd look or two from his fellow players though, but he didn’t think it had anything to do with his class. Mainly because at the moment he was clothed in a rather ragged and bloodstained white robe after all. Not something you see every day since the ones wearing robes normally keep in the back and away from physical combat.  

When he got to the smithing district he found that there was four smithies, three owned by elves and one by of all things a dwarf. Now dwarves and elves aren’t exactly enemies in Nexus, but they do have a certain amount of animosity mainly due to the fact dwarves find magic to be an abhorrent art, well arcane magic divine were something they liked just fine. The problem was that the dwarf smithy were the only one with a high chimney attached to it, indicating it had a blast furnace. No one will by the loot as it is, only someone willing to smelt it and re-purpose it would. Just as he was about to enter the smithy his passive tricked and he glanced over his shoulder, he spotted a small area in the air where there was a concentration of Light mana. Three guesses who is there, and the first two doesn’t count.

The smithy was an open one, almost no walls and only a red tiled roof. The dwarf inside was a short elderly one, although his bulging arm muscles attested to a life spent wielding hammer and tongs. When Durabo entered he was met with an intense stare from warm brown eyes above a very bushy grey beard.

“Good day to you sir.” Durabo said and flashed his most charming smile. “Would I be correct in the assumption you smelt your own ingots?”

The dwarf let out a large harumpf at his words and then said:

“Yes you would be, what’s it to you?”

“Well I have a great deal of inferior iron weapons and cutlery made of all sorts of metal, and thought that a smith with a blast furnace might be interested in them.”

The dwarf just studied him for a moment, seeming to weigh something in his mind. What the scales ended up showing Durabo couldn’t see.

“Hmm might be interested, depends on the price ye are asking though.” Bushy beard said.
“And the quality of the metals involved.”

Figuring that pretty words and charm might not work on this fellow, Durabo concluded he might as well show the goods. He therefore emptied his inventory of all things except the canteen and cartography equipment. It turned out to be a one meter high at the top three meter diameter pile of assorted weapons and cutlery. The look of the dwarfs face, the little Durabo could see, was priceless.

When the dwarf got over his shock though, he started sorting the weapons and cutlery. In less than five minutes he look up once more and said to Durabo:

“I’ll give ya ten gold for the lot. Take it or leave it.”

Durabo couldn’t help but frown, that was a little low and to think he had taken months to accumulate these items.

“Hmm ten and a knife, and we have a deal.” Durabo said, he wasn’t that greedy as long as he could afford what he needed he couldn’t care less about money.

The only reason he haggled for a knife was the fact it was a basic survival tool and it had been bugging him for awhile that he didn’t have one.

“What would you be wanting a dagger for?” The dwarf asked, looking puzzled.

“I said I wanted a knife not a dagger.” He smiled, then said. ”And you know full well it isn’t the same.”

“Well since ya know the difference I’ll be inclined to give ya one.” A calculating glint appeared in the dwarfs eyes and his tone softened a bit. “What purpose?”

“General utility, I can always acquire more specialized ones when I need them.” Durabo said, then added as an afterthought. ”Fulltang if possible.”

“Alright I’ve got a few of those lying around.” The dwarf turned around and walked toward a chest standing against the only wall in the building. “Give me a sec and I’ll find one for ya, along wit’ det gold.”

He rustled around in the chest for a bit and then returned with ten coins and a sheathed seventeen centimeter knife. The handle was simple wood, but knifes don’t need to be pretty, they need to be durable. Durabo took the coins put them in his inventory and then unsheathed the knife, ten centimeter blade with a nice thick blade, perfect. Before sheathing it again and then unbuckling his belt so he could place the sheath on it.  

“Thank you, if I need anymore blades I’ll be sure stop by. You have a nice day master smith.” Said Durabo with a satisfied smile and a small nod at the dwarf before leaving.

The matter of funds taken care of it was now time to rectify his current appearance, for as Tenarian had told him as a member of the Guild he had to be presentable. Therefore the next stop would be a tailor. Durabo didn’t know where to find a tailor so walked up to the nearest robe wearing player and asked:

“Excuse, you wouldn’t happen to know where I could find a good tailor?” Durabo flashed the young pretty priestess a boyish grin. Making her blush a lovely shade of red. “My robes seems to have fallen into disrepair.”

If you find this story on Amazon, be aware that it has been stolen. Please report the infringement.


It took her a couple of seconds to collect her thoughts and answer, the giggling of her female warrior friend probably didn’t help the matter:

“Well I have bought my robe at Nora’s a hundred meters down the south street from the Tower.” She hesitated for a bit, but when she got her feet under her her voice was fast and firm.

“Thank you very much.” Another smile just for the hell of it. “ If she’s good enough for you, she’s good enough for me. You two girls have a nice day.” He said flashing a smile to both of the girls before leaving.

With that he left, heading back towards the Tower. The chatter and giggling behind him causing a smirk to appear on his face.

Nora’s shop proved to be a well of tailor shop with two big window displays and three desk clerks. How he had managed to miss the shop on his many trips through the town was somewhat of a mystery to him though.

The robes on display wasn’t quite his type. He had decided to get two sets made. One for when he needed to look official and something warm to wear in the north. He had a hunch he might need to have pretty clothes considering he was something akin to a noble in this place.

When he walked up to the closest clerk he was met with an unfriendly stare from the guy. That combined with the fact he was in beginner clothes probably meant he was a hired player trying to earn some money or clothes.

“What do you want?” The clerk said, his tone even more unfriendly. What was the deal with this man, no boy?

“I would like to speak with Nora if possible.” Durabo said, keeping calm and collected. This could be seen as an opportunity to train his serenity.

“Oh so you want to speak with her. Unless you plan to order custom pieces she doesn’t receive customers. “

“Then it’s a good thing I intend to do so.” Durabo said showing a small smile. “Now run and fetch her for me please.”


OK so he hadn’t been able to keep himself completely serene.

The clerk just looked at him, something akin to envy on his face then stood up and walked behind the curtain separating the front of the shop from the work-space, presumably.  A moment later he returned with a tall elderly woman. Human and mid sixties if she was a day, with the calm collected no nonsense attitude of a professional.

Her eyes pierced his as she said:

“What can I do for you sir?” her tone gruff yet polite. She seemed to have recognized the robe.

The sir made the clerks eyes stand out in surprise, quite a satisfying sight.

“Well I would like to have this robe cleaned and mended. Besides that I need two new sets of clothes made, one for official capacity and one for cold weather and fights.” He said his tone all business. He got the sense that trying to charm this grey haired woman could only end in disaster.

“Follow me please we can talk details in my office. No need for you to stand out here sir.”

He followed her behind the curtain and looked around the workshop with curiosity on his way to the office. Big rolls made of a myriad of cloth types and colors were laid out on shelves to one side. Work benches in front of those shelves containing all the tool of the trade. Two tailors were hard at work at those tables, one making a standard robe another making some really nice looking linen pants.  

They had barely gotten into her office before she closed the door and turned around.

“Now take those robes of young man, so I can save them before you abuse them anymore.“ Her tone gruff yet still polite enough to not offend.

Thinking he might as well get that part over with he did as he was told, although underneath the robe he had nothing but the skivvies all male players have on. The caves where warmer than you might think OK?

Taking his clothes while clucking at its state, without even looking at him she started sewing up the gashes and tears in it with a small needle. Where the needle and thread came from he had no idea they just suddenly appeared in her hand as if by magic.

The weird thing was that as she went over the robe and repaired it, the bloodstains and other spots also disappeared along with the closed tears. Durabo noted it as something to keep in mind.

It took Nora no more than five minutes to turn a ragged piece of cloth into a pristine white robe once more.

He was about to put the robe back on when Nora stopped him by speaking:

“Not yet, I need to take your measurements first.” Taking out a strip of cloth with numbers on it as well as a measuring stick.

While she measured him she took a little more time than strictly necessary. Her eyes resting every once in awhile on his abs, arms or pecs. Flattered as he was it was still a tad bit creepy for him. When done she gave him a smirk then said:

“You sure do have some muscle for a mage boy.” Her tone teasing as she said so. “Now explain to me what you need and I’ll have my boys start immediately.”

He put on the robe and then started explaining.

First up the formal robe. He had decided to go with something akin to a Chinese hanfu robe. Big billowing sleeves, multiple layers of cloth and long enough to touch the ground. Primary color the same as his royal blue silk hair ties, accents done with silver colored thread and secondary color a dark grey. It  would probably cost him a fortune but since it was done in linen and not silk it should be affordable. Impossible to move properly in, but it would look incredible if he ever decided to do a big ritual of some sort.

His other set would have to be considerably more efficient and comfortable since it would be something used for fighting and magecraft isn’t anywhere near as static as people think. Inspired by the clothes his master Xia wore whenever he felt like doing the more complex techniques of the southern dragon style, Durabo hand decided to go with something called a tangzhuan jacket and loose pants. He was after all a mage and would have to look presentable even when fighting. The color would be a dark grey for the jacket and black for the pants with silver thread as accents. He would have gone with the same royal blue as before, but that would not look well after a few fights. He chose to have it made of high quality wool so as to make sure he could keep warm while in the north.

Surprisingly Nora seemed to find his choices, and detailed explanations, to not be a bother, but rather something akin to a challenge. She did mention that some of the work she would have to do herself in order to assure it was done right.
Nora even promised to have it done by the day after tomorrow morning if he paid five silvers extra bringing the total to ninety-five silvers. Since there was a day and a half between each of his play sessions this proved to be a good thing.
When he asked to be taught how to maintain and repair the clothes, she actually suggested herself that he should learn tailoring since he seemed to have a knack for the design part of it. She didn’t even charge him for the thirty minutes of teaching. Might have had something to do with the gratuitous amount of bodily contact while teaching though. That or the fact he bartered Elandriel’s spell glove to her, since he had no use for it.

Taking a deep breath as he left the store he was forced to admit that his instincts had been right, trying to charm Nora would spell disaster. Just not the way he thought it would.

Now he had but three things to get done before he could get down to the business of mastering Mind magic. Buy some good boots from the leather-workers shop next door. Find the magic shop selling books pertaining to advanced magic and finding an inn to sleep in as well as to teach him cooking. The other skills he needed he would have to find teachers for when he got to Auril.

He had thought ahead and asked Nora for directions to a good Magic shop as well as a decent inn. But first he would buy the boots because walking across town in the thin beginner shoes were not an attractive proposition when he had the option of not doing it.

Anarian’s leather goods were not quite as well of as Nora’s shop was, there was only him there and he had only a single small window to advertise his wares. Yet Nora had assured him that it was because the old wood elf wanted it that way, since he would only make things for those that knew what quality was. It was also because of that she recommended him to Durabo, his preferences had become quite clear as he ordered the two sets of clothes from her.  

When Durabo walked into the shop, he was met by the complex and mildly unpleasant smell of a tannery. Telling him that the elf even did his own curing and treating of hides and pelts. This might prove to be a lucky break.

Durabo sketched a small bow to the old elf sitting behind the desk stitching some leather together.

“Good day to you sir.” A small smile graced his lips as he said sir, he wasn't certain that was the correct way to address your elders anymore. “I would like to purchase some leather boots. Preferably boots made for cold weather and walking long distances.”

The old elf stitched the row of stitches down one side of the piece before his warm old eyes looked up.

“Hmm well at least you know what you want.” His tone seemed not exactly gruff, maybe more stern than gruff. “Give me a moment to finish this and I’ll find you a pair.”

“Of course.” Durabo replied and then something occurred to him. “Don’t you need to take measurements for the fitting?”

“Why would I do that? All items made for a given classification of humanoids automatically fits itself to their shape.”

That old crone had actually conned him. Durabo couldn’t help but shake his head and laugh.

He ended up giving the old elf thirty silvers for a pair of winter boots. Not a bad deal when you consider the fact that leather always had been a luxury good, even in fantasy worlds.

The rest of his errands took about an hour to do before he found himself walking up the stairs  of the Dancing Pixie towards his new room. His gold considerably diminished by the books he had bought. The room and teaching didn’t even make a minor dent in his funds though, fifteen silvers the innkeeper was way too terrified of him to charge anymore.

He could unfortunately not learn the identify skill because it was a class exclusive skill for enchanters, yet he was in no way dissatisfied. He had paid three gold 4 silvers for books about chants and concepts for all his basic elemental affinities(Earth,Air,Fire,Water) up till twenty-five percent. He had also gotten a book on the splitting of mana streams and the combining of elemental powers as well as the basics of Lightning and Ice. The truly marvelous thing though was the fact he wouldn’t have to read them. They were designed so as to be absorbed by his grimoire.

He opened the door took a quick glance around the room and the sighed heavily.

“So she sent you to talk to me?” Durabo said while placing all his good on the small writing desk placed in the corner of the room.

A glimmer of light and Sylphie appeared as if from thin air, sitting atop the dresser besides the desk with her feet dangling over the edge.

“I think we might have taught you to well Durabo.” Sylphie said.

Taught him to well, see that right there was another nail in the coffin of his trust for them, and she didn’t even realize it.

“Well I’m sad to hear that.” His face impassive, his tone inflectionless. “What do I need to do to get you out of my hair?”

If his barb had an effect on her it didn’t show.

“Do we mean that little to you?” Her voice sounded both sad and hurt when she continued. “That you can cut us out of your life so easily?”

Durabo felt no need to ponder the question. They meant a lot to him, at least they had.

“You tell me, should be easy enough to figure out if you took a peek inside my head.”

“I am not able to do so and you know it.” Sylphie said, for some reason indignant at the thought.

“No, but your mistress is.” He said, and he couldn’t keep his tone level anymore. “As I’m sure she has done.”

Sylphie started shaking her head no and was just about to speak when her lips clamped shut. Well at least she was clever enough to figure out lying was a bad idea.

“Thought as much.” He opened the window and gestured. “Now fly back to your mistress. I have no more time for mind games.”

Sylphie face looked momentarily hurt, and the she got up.

“I will leave if that is what you wish Durabo.” She said as she headed to the window. “I’ll just leave you with one question before I go. If you know she can read minds, what was to stop the ones in the Catacombs from doing the same?”

Sylphie then stepped out into the air gave him one more parting glance before flying away. Drawing Light around herself as she did.




Status Window:
Spoiler :
Status Window
Name:DuraboGender:Male
Level:34Experience:57%
Job:Silver InquisitorRace:High Elf
Combat Class:MageSupport Class:None
Titles:
Firecaller, Novice Eislonien Mage
Expendable Stats:
HP:1190HP/s:9,1
MP:12289MP/s:6,05
Stamina:1190STM/s:18,2
Satiety:30kSAT/s:-1
Basic Stats
StatBaseBonusTotal
Agility:6345108
Charisma:47047
Endurance:63063
Intelligence:35365418
Strength:25025
Vitality:1190119
Wisdom:10120121
Advanced Stats:
Concentration:168Serenity:29
Willpower:84
Affinities:
Air:25%Earth:26%
Fire:30%Ice:1%
Light:25%Lightning:1%
Mind:31%Nature:1%
Water:25%
Resistances:
Air:5%Earth:5%
Fire:11%Light:5%
Mind:5%Water:5%


Skill Window:
Spoiler :
Skill List
Combat Skills:
Skill nameSkill RankSkill LvlSkill EXP
Controlled Manifestation: Fire (Active):Novice64%
Grimoire (Passive/Active):Adept723%
Intuition (Passive):Novice1089%
Mana Feed (Passive):Adept1226%
Manifestation: Air (Active):Adept649%
Manifestation: Earth (Active):Adept987%
Manifestation: Light (Active):Adept135%
Manifestation: Water (Active):Adept714%
Mastery: Air Spells (Passive):Adept647%
Mastery: Chants (Passive):Adept1010%
Mastery: Earth Spells (Passive):Adept891%
Mastery: Fire Spells (Passive):Adept127%
Mastery: Hand To Hand (Passive):Novice157%
Mastery: Light Spells (passive):Novice1563%
Mastery: Magic Staffs (Passive):Novice87%
Mastery: Sigils (Passive):Adept106%
Mastery: Wands (Passive):Novice129%
Mastery: Water Spells (Passive):Adept1119%
Running (Passive):Novice1867%
Third Eye (Active):Adept965%
Support Skills:
Skill nameSkill RankSkill LvlSkill EXP
Cartography (Passive):Novice1594%
Charm (Passive):Novice107%
Cooking (Passive):Novice10%
Language: Rune Tongue (Passive):Adept262%
Meditation (Passive):Adept699%
Subconscious Note-taking (Passive):N/AN/AN/A
Tailoring (Passive):Novice10%
Writing (Passive):Novice1836%




Hi there penguins :P

So I finished this early and thought I would give it to ya immediately. This is the longest chapter I've ever written and it doesn't even have a fight scene in it. I do hope it isn't to boring though, there was a lot of small things that had to be done for him to be ready to leave.

What do you think of his new job?

As always hope you enjoyed my story and do comment, rate or review if you feel like it. :D
Advertisement
Remove

About the author

BurningBookworm

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(34)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In