Welcome to Royal Road Legends, the home of web novels and fan fictions! In our amazing community, you can find various talented individuals who write as a hobby or even professionally, artists who create art for them, and many, many readers who provide valuable feedback and encouragement.
RRL is designed to make it easy for writers to quickly and easily get their work up for readers to see. Here are step-by-step instructions to publish your first fiction (and all subsequent fictions).
- Register for an account on RRL if you do not already have one. This can be easily done from our Welcome page
- Click Write on the navigation bar, which will take you to the My Fictions page
- Click New Story
- Fill in the Title, Description. Select the genres and additional tags. Fill in your first chapter's title and the content of your first chapter.
Note: if you do not select Fan Fiction for stories based on others' work or do not choose the Content Warnings appropriate for your story, the submission will be rejected.
- Upload a cover image that is either 200x300 pixels or 400x600 pixels (This is optional)
- Click Submit
All new submissions are manually checked for appropriate tagging and plagiarism, so expect it to take between 12-24 hours for a submission to be approved. Please be patient.
- Once your fiction has been approved, you can find it by again clicking Write on the navigation bar
- Add additional chapters by clicking Add New Chapter
Your Work is Yours
At RRL, we do not require that you post exclusively to our site, and you can take your work down at any time. Whether on other large fiction sites or your own personal site, you can post to RRL with a time delay, or just a sample.
Q: Is it true that you get an emblem under your name if you donate and support the site?
A: We originally had a donation system for one-time donations, which came with the "Donor" achievement. We removed that because a) one-time donations no longer make a difference to a site the size that ours has grown to, and b) we didn't want to take donations away from our authors.
You can now support the site with a Premium Subscription for an ad-free experience, along with a cool Premium mark.
Q: What is the difference between FanFiction and Original?
A: FanFiction means a story written based on an already existing original work. As such, the copyright laws for FanFiction are only applicable as far as Fair Use comes into play. On the other hand, Original means that you are the first and sole creator of the universe your story is set in, as well as the characters and plot line.
- Note: Make sure to properly tag your fiction as either FanFiction or Original.
Q: How do I add a cover art?
A: Go to My Fictions, then click Dashboard on the fiction you want to add a cover for. Click the Edit tab, then upload your art.
- Note: cover art must be either 200x300 pixels or 400x600 pixels
Q: Is my story protected by copyright when I post it on RRL?
A: Anything you write is automatically copyrighted by you, but that
does not mean it is registered in your country’s copyright office.
You may use [copyrighted.com] or other available resources for this.
- Note: once posted on RoyalRoadL.com, your content will be marked as your own, with a date on the post that verifies when the content was published.
Q: I’m the actual author of a story posted on RoyalRoadL.com, but I never gave my permission to the individual who posted it here. What do I do?
A: Feel free to write a [Support Ticket] with your claim and proof of your claim. Our moderators will verify if it is indeed an Original story or a Fan Fiction based on your story. If your claim is proven to be true, and you do not wish your story to be shared on RoyalRoadL, then we will proceed to remove it.
- Note: If a [Donation] button exists on the story, it will be temporarily removed until we have resolved this situation.
Q: How can I contact RoyalRoadLegends staff to report something?
A: you can open a [Support Ticket], which only the admins, super moderators, and you will be able to read.
If the report revolves around a post or thread, it’s better to click the Report icon at the bottom of the post.
- Note: You need to be logged in to submit a support ticket.
Q: Someone is harassing me. What do I do to make them stop or protect myself from them?
A: Depending on the situation:
- you can contact a moderator or an admin and report it to them;
- you can report the post via the forum feature;
- you can delete that person’s post if it was on your fiction;
- you can disable PMs;
- you can add them to your ignore list.
Q: How do I get an achievement?
A: There are various achievements that you can get, and they are not limited to the ones
already created. For example, you can receive a new achievement by winning a contest.
You can check out previously given achievements and how to earn them [Here]
Moderators may hand out achievements if they notice someone has done something worthy of said achievement.
Q: What is reputation? How do I earn it and how do I give it?
A: Users can give you reputation points as a way of thanks. If you reach 1000 reputation points, you get an achievement. Clicking the button at the bottom of a thread or post will give that user 1 or 2 points of reputation.
Q: Where is the chat box?
A: A link to our Discord server can be found in the top navigation bar or on the right side in the Forums.
Q: I suspect someone is manipulating the votes, what should I do?
A: We run a program periodically that checks for vote manipulation across the entire site, and the ones found guilty are immediately banned for a period of time depending on how many accounts they used.
However, if you suspect something, you can open a support ticket and we will look into it as soon as possible.
Q: Can you make it so users have to leave reviews to rate?
A: No. We've been over the issue multiple times. Here is a summary of why not, copied from the forums:
There are several problems with making the review content compulsory. First of all, it would significantly reduce the number of ratings on the site. This would pose several problems, including:
- We'd need to remove existing anonymous ratings, as the reduced number of reviews would mean that top list entries would be very, very hard to overcome, if not virtually impossible unless the site's viewership suddenly increased tenfold.
- At the same time, removing existing ratings would mean that we'd make a gigantic mess from the site. The top list would get completely scrambled, and manipulating the top list would become much easier due to the significantly reduced number of reviews to judge ranking by.
- Removing reviews, actually, does not stop drive-bys. An excellent example of this is Amazon. I recommend doing a quick research on the topic, as "spam reviews" are a significant problem with the system either way.
Additionally, most users that do not review, according to statistics, would not if they have to think and write a review. In fact, I was about to review a product on Amazon the other day, but when I realized that I had to write a proper review for it, I've decided against it, as I didn't feel up to it.
Another problem with forcing reviews is that drive-by 0.5-star ratings would turn into a significant amount of toxicity and hate reviews. This would be both make moderation increasingly hard and authors more likely to quit due to the negative feedback. Please keep in mind that the site's audience is generally young.
Q: Can you make it so 0.5 star ratings require leaving a review?
A: Apart from every single point for the question above being true for this question, making only 0.5 star ratings require reviews would not only incite more hate reviews, but it would also simply shift the most common negative rating from 0.5 star to 1 star, essentially doing nothing to change the situation.
In order to add a [Donation] request using Paypal or Patreon to your fiction page.
- You need to go to My Fictions [dashboard]
- Then click on the Donations Tab
- Add email URL of your donation button for PayPal or the link to your Patreon Page in the required fields.
RoyalRoad™ wishes to support the authors, and does not take any percentage of these donations, they are held externally via PayPal and Patron and we don't hold any responsibility for them.
Once your application goes through, the [Donation] bar will appear at the bottom of all chapters of the approved fiction. Once approved, however, you will have to follow certain rules:
- Donation requests can be made only at the end of any chapters.
- If you want to set Sponsored Releases, you MUST publicise your regular release schedule
- You MUST keep yourself to this schedule with your regular chapters
- You MUST denote this release schedule in your fiction's description, as well as on any chapter where you ask for donations for sponsored chapters, or notify your readers of their existence in any other way.
- If you can't for some external reason, you MUST notify your readers; inability to do so will lead to loss of donation bar.
- Sponsored releases without an approved donation bar will be deemed a breach of Terms.
- Note: If you can't, for any external reasons, keep to your schedule, you MUST notify your readers; inability to do so will lead to loss of the donation bar.
- Failure to follow the above rules will lead to the revocation of your [Donation] bar privileges.
- RoyalRoadL may revoke donation privileges at their own discretion.
Q: My fiction is complete. Can I still request donations?
A: As long as it fits all requirements, yes. But you naturally can't offer sponsored chapters.
Q: I’m underage, can I still request donations?
A: Unfortunately, Paypal’s current policy is that only 18 years old and older people are allowed to receive donations. This is something we can’t influence.
On Royal Road, we have several fiction rankings to help readers find stories to read and to give authors the opportunity to be exposed to new readers. The explanation of each list is below, along with some tips for any authors looking to maximize reader exposure.
This list is pretty straightforward. Newly approved fictions are added to the top of the list and older ones pushed off.
Please note that all of our new submissions are manually checked before being approved. This is usually done twice a day, but if our admins are busy, it can take longer. There is no guarantee when exactly your fiction will show up here, so please be patient.
Fictions are added to this list when a new chapter is released and they are pushed down by subsequent releases by other authors.
For new fictions, this list is a great way to gain exposure to new readers.
Note that if a fiction is updated with a new chapter while still on the list, those updates will be grouped together in one entry.
Some tips to maximize your exposure on the list:
- Update regularly, especially early in your fiction launch. A successful technique that people have used to quickly gain a readerbase is to save up enough chapters for a daily release for at least a week, even if their normal writing pace is slower than that.
- Space out your updates. Let's say that you have 100 chapters saved up from when you were publishing on another site. Don't post them all at once. If you do, you'll only get one listing and very few readers will see it compared to if you spaced out your updates. We recommend waiting until your fiction has been pushed off the list before the next update. This can be under an hour during our peak traffic times, and 2-3 hours when traffic is slower
- Update at different times of the day. RRL has a global userbase, so if you update at different times, you will get exposure to users from different time zones.
- Related to the above point, we do not recommend trying to maximize exposure by posting only during peak traffic hours. Yes, there are more readers at that time, but that is also when more authors naturally update. You will be pushed off the Latest Updates list faster, and it works out to about the same exposure as if you updated during non-peak hours
These are some of the most highly-rated stories ever written on RRL. The formula for this weights average rating the most, with a correction factor for number of ratings. Basically, for two fictions with the same average rating, the one with more ratings is ranked higher, and the more ratings a fiction has, the more the formula allows for the inevitable one or two low ratings that will occur.
Tips for getting onto this illustrious list:
- Keep writing. If you look at the current fictions on the list, most of them have over 30 chapters up, some over 100. It's a marathon to get on this list, not a sprint.
- Keep an eye on quality. It may be tempting to write as quickly as possible and immediately post the results, but readers will take points off of their ratings for things like grammatical errors and improper plot development. You don't have to hire a professional editor to look over everything before you post, but do your best.
- Encourage your readers to review. You can't get onto this list, or many of the other ones, without ratings. Occasionally remind your readers in author's notes that you appreciate receiving reviews. Remember, advanced reviews are weighted more than regular reviews, which are weighted more than non-review ratings when it comes to calculating your average rating.
This list uses the same formula as the Best Rated list, but only includes fictions updated within the last 35 days. Many readers prefer looking at this list so that they can avoid dropped fictions.
This list uses the same formula as the Best Rated list, but only includes fictions marked complete. Readers may prefer looking at this list if they want to find stories they are certain have an ending and won't be dropped midway.
- Note: If you have a complete fiction, please submit a Support Ticket so that one of the staff can change its status to Complete.
We have a monthly (or yearly) subscription based premium service available. The primary aim of this service is simple: to provide an alternative way to support the site's development and get an advertisement-free experience.
This is the basic subscription for RRL users who want to browse ad-free, along with push notifications for convenience and some vanity features:
- No Advertisements
- Push Notifications
- Premium Mark
- Post Border
Our Author Premium subscription has been created with one goal in mind: to provide our authors high-level tools and data that would be prohibitively expensive to develop without your subscription support. Analytics, for example, requires dedicated machines to gather, store, analyse and serve the data. We have other services in the works for this tier, but they are currently unlisted as we are nowhere near the testing stage. As you may have noticed, our Author Premium service is currently unavailable; this is due to technical issues that we have to solve with the service, such as problems with the analytics.
The Premium service can be accessed using the following link: http://royalroadl.com/premium
The subscription can be monthly or yearly, which you can decide by choosing the relevant tab in the top right corner of the pricing.
The payments and the subscription itself is handled through PayPal. This means that you can easily subscribe or unsubscribe anytime directly through your PayPal account.
To Unsubscribe from the Premium service, go directly to http://paypal.com and log in to your account. You can find the reccurring payment under More > Sitemap > Manage subscription payments > My pre-approved payments.
If you can't find the page, or are unable to unsubscribe for some reason, don't hesitate to make a new support ticket at http://royalroadl.com/support with the category "Payments" and we will help you.
Reviewing is a very important part of the RRL community. Writers love to hear from their readers and get constructive criticism to improve. Many of our ranking lists rely heavily on the ratings of the users, so we encourage you to review whatever your read! Just make sure that you follow our reviewing rules and guidelines.
- Be constructive. State what you liked and didn't like about the story, and suggest ways to improve if you think of any. We don't want to see negative rants that are completely biased and unhelpful
- Stay on topic. Your review should address the story itself, and only the story. Unrelated content, including comments about the author's other activity, other users, etc., is not part of a review.
- Be respectful. Do not insult the author or other users. This includes explicitly discouraging authors from writing or telling them to drop stories.
- Use appropriate language. Avoid profanity and anything that would make your review unsuitable to be read by children or at work.
- Hide spoilers. Spoilers should be placed inside spoiler tags by clicking the spoiler button (as outlined in red in the image below) and typing within the spoiler box. Don't ruin the story for others.
Ratings, Reviews, and Advanced Reviews
There are three levels of feedback you can leave for an author.
Ratings are plain 0.5-5 star scores. No written feedback or justification for the score is required.
Reviews provide an overall 0.5-5 star scores along with a brief overview of your opinion of the story, providing some level of critique and justification for the score.
Advanced reviews provide a score for the overall fiction, along with the subcategories Style, Story, Grammar, and Characters
- Style: This refers to the general feeling of the fiction as created by the author's word choices, literary devices, and unique way of writing
- Story: This refers to the plot and how well the story is put together
- Grammar: This refers to technical aspects of the writing, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Characters: This refers to the characters in the story, how well they are depicted, how realistic and three-dimensional they are
In an advanced review, you are expected to write a detailed critique that covers all subcategories being rated as well as a justification for the overall score.
Because the effort involved increases with more detailed reviews, advanced reviews are weighted more than reviews, which are weighted more than plain ratings when it comes to calculating average fiction rating and Best Fiction rankings. Reviews and advanced reviews are also under scrutiny for their content and will be deleted if inappropriate or insufficient in content.
- This should be fairly obvious, but rating and reviewing from multiple accounts is prohibited. We have software to catch people who try to manipulate the ratings by doing this. Alternate accounts that do this will be permabanned and the original account will face temporary ban.
- Review swaps are allowed on RRL. In fact, you can request them in our Reviews forum. However, rating and review swaps promising high scores is prohibited. If you agree to a review swap, we expect you to actually read the other person's fiction and to write a thoughtful review with a rating that matches your opinion of the story
Review swap rules
- Both fictions must be at least 10,000 words long (36 pages)
- Both users must read at least 10,000 words (36 pages) of the other person's fiction before writing the review
- The review must be a detailed advanced review, covering all four subcategories (Style, Story, Grammar, Character), and writing about both positive and negative points of the fiction
- The rating must be reflective of the critique in the review. Giving nothing but high ratings or agreeing to give high ratings before reading the fiction is considered vote manipulation
If you see any reviews that violate any of the rules above, please report them by clicking the [Report] button at the bottom of every review. Clearly state the reason(s) for reporting on the page it takes you to and click [Confirm]. Our staff will quickly review the report and decide what action needs to be taken.
If a fiction violates any of our rules, such as having plagiarism, hate speech, pedophilia, or missing tags for mature content, do not leave a review stating these things but rather report the fiction by clicking the [Report] button on the top right side of the fiction's main page. Clearly state the reason(s) for reporting on the page it takes you to and click [Confirm]. Our staff will quickly review the report and decide what action needs to be taken.
Major Rules of RRL
If you read nothing else in the help pages, read this and avoid getting in trouble on RRL. All of these rules are repeated in the sections of the help pages they pertain to, but we've gathered all of the rules into one place for you to keep in mind.
- Hate speech of any kind and pedophilia are prohibited in all areas of the site, including within fictions that have mature tags.
- Manipulating fiction scores and rankings is strictly prohibited. This includes creating alternate accounts to rate multiple times and trading high ratings with other users.
- Insulting and attacking other users is not allowed. You can disagree, but be polite and civil.
- Plagiarism is not allowed. If you are writing a fanfiction, make sure it is appropriately tagged and give credit to whoever created the original story. If you have already published your fiction elsewhere and are moving to RRL, please follow the instructions on our Migrating From Another Site page.
- No spam. This includes links to other sites for no reason, nonsense posts, and repeat posts in multiple forums.
- Political and religious discussions are not allowed in the forums. It just creates too many ill feelings, and our site is not the place to argue about these topics.
- Language. All language outside of fictions tagged for profanity must be within appropriate limits. As a rule of thumb, keep it so that someone accessing the site from their workplace doesn't have to worry about content. This includes swearing and sexually explicit language.
If you see any content that violates these rules, please report it by clicking the appropriate [Report] button beside the post, comment, or fiction.