A note from Lapisgollum

This is the end of the first main Arc, and will be followed by a short time skip. I took a long enough hiatus when I was busy so don't worry about me dissapearing again atleast not for another month, or two. 

Hope you enjoy the chapter.

Advertisement
Remove

I step past Amnellon and into his workshop. Many different metal arms and vices hold materials aloft. Half finished music boxes, a clock pulled apart and labeled, and, what I was looking for, a cannon. This wasn’t actually a cannon like the ones on earth. This was a large metal cylinder, with a large hole bored down the center. The back had a much smaller hole with the remains of a wick inside.

I step over to the cannon, and run my hand up and down it.

“What are you using to fire this?”

I ask turning to Amnello.

“Kobold dust.”

He blurts out, before slapping a hand over his mouth.

“I misspoke my lord, it's actually a complic-"

“75 parts saltpeter, 15 parts charcoal, and 10 parts sulfur. Grind up the salt peter, then mix up the charcoal and sulfur and sieve out large chunks. Add water and stir the ingredients into a paste then allow to dry before grinding it up once more. Is that the recipe?”

I ask the gnome. He looks at me a little dumbfounded.

“I-I don't know the Kobolds keep it a secret. I just buy- I mean- fine you got me.”

He holds out his wrists, and closes his eyes.

“What are you doing?”

I ask him.

“Waiting for you to arrest me.”

He replies.

“Why would I arrest you?”

He drops his hands.

“Well Kobold dust is illegal. Since the Kobolds make it, and they control it, and they won’t sell the recipe so the lords can’t tax it…”

Amnello pauses for a moment.

“But if you can make it then it doesn’t matter.”

I click my tongue in annoyance.

“I would appreciate you to be discreet now that I’ve told you the recipe only buy the ingredients in bulk with other common items used for alchemical purposes, and don’t share it. Also who do you buy from? A middle man, or Kobolds themselves? Also I’ll need to check the quality of their work. If I can negotiate a better recipe refinement with them for sole trading rights in the territory that would be preferable.”

I grab a piece of charcoal, and some parchment from the table. Perhaps guiding the Kobolds into becoming an arms powerhouse wasn’t the best idea, but with a little incentive, and some dragon blood I’m sure I could at least mold them a little. Tell them a little about my world, and the nations there might sway them.

If you encounter this tale on Amazon, note that it's taken without the author's consent. Report it.

Their inferiority complex could work in my favor. Who cares about a few measly land masses when I could bait them into going after flight, and travelling to space. It took what about 700 years from the use of the first firearm to the nuclear bomb. With a little modern help, and a dash of magic I have no doubt I could reach the moon in a decade.

With the parchment I draw a rough design for a musket, and musket balls. Then scratch it out, and jump right into rifles, and ammunition. Muskets are to inaccurate. And I have the sum of human knowledge at my fingertips.

“Do whatever you need to make this possible, you have until the meeting where I meet the Kobolds to get it done. Money is no longer an issue for you. Bill supplies within reason to me. I would prefer it fail less than 60% of the time when used. If you need any help feel free to call on me. This is the start of a new era Amnello.”

I tell him. He looks dumbstruck.

“It’s sink, or swim now. You either lead the pack or get left in the dust. Will your name be known several hundred years for now, or will you be not even a footnote in the ledgers of history.”

He looks hesitant.

“I don’t want to be beholden to you, my lord. If you’ll excuse my tone.”

He replies resolutely. I give him a small smile.

“Why would you be? After this is complete I may call on you every now, and again for some works. All other time can be devoted to your own projects, just show some results and don’t get complacent. You won’t be the only tinkerer I hire so consider this a head start.”

He smiles, like a kid on christmas appreciating the gifts laid out before them.

“I’ll do my best my lord.”

He says.

“I won't expect anything less.”

He reaches up and grabs the paper that has been hastily scribbled on.

“I can do something with this. My contact won’t come for another 2 weeks, and then I won’t get a reply from the kobolds for a month after.”

He says.

“Use your time wisely then. If that's all I have some more business to take care of elsewhere.”

I say.

“Farewell my lord.”

Amnello says as he escorts me out the door. Before I leave I turn to face him one last time.

“Another thing to keep in mind is that we may face a nation at one point with nearly 700 plus years of progress on us. Who has touched the stars, and walked on the deepest seabeds. They’ve dug deeper than any dwarven mine, and planted more trees than any elven village. The place they live has run out of room, and when a society runs out of room it expands, swallowing everything it can as it passes. They will come searching for new lands.”

Amnello shudders a little.

“Who are they my lord?”

He asks.

“They are the largest empire to ever exist in known history, they span the entire planet, they are an empire upon which the sun never sets. They are a nation past Avallon, and further still. Originally they were a group of colonies that the british, the country from which king Arthur hails, created but broke free of their control, and grew only in size and power. I should know I am from there.”

I pause for a moment to let it sink in.

“And the most terrifying part is that they have no magic. They have studied the laws of nature to such a degree they don’t need magic to bend them to their will. That is who we have to worry about, the world was on the brink of war when I left and when I return I have no doubt that America will be it’s only survivor.

They will ask many questions of me, I would prefer to have something behind me to give my words clout rather than asking them kindly not to attack or invade. Mutually assured destruction is a phrase you will become intimately familair with. Returning home is not a matter of if, but when. When I do, and the doors linking our worlds open, I- no we will not be eaaily pushed over.”

Advertisement
Remove
A note from Lapisgollum

I feel like the ending monologue went on a little long. Maybe I could've saved it for another time? Like meeting nobles or something. Although I think it is something Jon would just repeat without worrying. 

Like I said in the prechapter this is the last chapter for this main arc, I think this chapters name is actually a goodname for the next arc as well.

If you have freetime, or nothing to do, I would appreciate of you commented, followed, favorited, or left a review. It really helps me to gauge how much you guys are liking the story. Even if you hate it, I would like to know why. If you do, or have done it I really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading,

Lapisgollum

Edit: Changed the ending part of the chapter to make it a little more clear the MC intent/goal.


About the author

Lapisgollum

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(2)
Log in to comment
Log In