Advertisement
Remove

[Today marks the beginning of a new age where the common man can become a king and a king into a common man. The choices you make could lead you to victory or to your untimely death. There are plenty of opportunities in this new land don't let your cowardice stop you from being the best of the best. WELCOME TO THE AGE OF CHANGE]

I was awaking by the arrogant voice. It seems that know the sick reality was truly about to begin. I can't say that I wasn't slightly worried because I was worried. The future wasn't certain unlike three days ago where I would just have to finish college, get a stressful job, get married, have kids and die. It was a simple life that I took for granted earlier, but I couldn't stop my excitement from coming out. I could possibly become a god like existence in this new world.

 While in my excitement I thought of the words the voice said, "a new age where the common man can become a king and a king into a common man." In the pre-apocalyptic world, the common man was the working class where they had to work just to scrape by with their lives. They couldn't have the luxury's that the rich class had. Now was the working-class chance to rule over the rich class.

The only thing I hope for the 'common man' was for them to come out of their subservient views about life. They should learn that money wouldn't mean anything in this new world only strength would matter or at least for now.

I had nothing against rich people as a whole, but there were people that I would love to kick down a peg, especially the second-generation hedonist. The hedonist were the kids of rich people who were lucky to be born in a rich family and where the ones who abused that power. The fact that there was a chance for them to become the lower class put a smile on my face. Let's see how they would live without a silver spoon in their mouths.

Getting away from my dark thoughts I vowed to get strong enough to never ever be someone's lackey. I would use my own strength to stand out in this world or die trying.

I smiled to myself after confirming my thoughts.

The voice made me become wide awake with no more sleep in my eyes. It was time to get up and get about with my life. I got up, stretched a bit, scratched my butt a bit, and went to brush my teeth.

When I reached the bathroom, I pulled my pants down to pee, but before that I always flipped the lights on. When I touched the light switch, nothing happened. I flipped it a couple more times just in case it was a fluke that it didn't work the first time. No matter how much I tried the lights didn't come on. Then it hit me, our grace period was over and know there wasn't going to be anymore power.

My brain was so slow in the morning that I forgot that there was a grace period and I didn't notice I was able to walk perfectly fine. People say that ignorance is bliss and guess what it truly is until it cost you dearly. I finished with all my bathroom business to meet up with April in the kitchen.

"Powers out, so no cooked breakfast for us. Take out the milk from your ring and some apples. With that we should have an OK breakfast" said April when she saw me getting out the bathroom.

I took out a gallon of milk plus the apples. They were just as cold as when we first put them in the spatial ring. Two days ago, after we learned that the power would go out sooner than we thought we experimented with the spatial ring to find out that everything we put in it retained their properties. With this discovery April went back to Walgreens and took as much milk as she could. We had about thirty gallons of milk, a couple packs of water, a couple bags of fruits, a couple bags of vegetables and other foods in the spatial ring plus the silver goblins corpse.

It might seem unhealthy to put the corpse close to the food, but that wasn't a problem. I learned if I put a certain amount of mana into the spatial ring I was able to somehow isolate the corpse from the food. The solution came just in time since I didn't want to throw away the goblins corpse.

Unauthorized reproduction: this story has been taken without approval. Report sightings.

I wanted to try out the skill corpse garden, but I couldn't right now. The earth was still expanding and it didn't seem like it would stop anytime soon plus I didn't have any seeds to plant with the corpse.

"We will have to secure some supplies later on, but most importantly we will have to take care of the monsters around us to be safer. I'm not sure if there are any survivors in this community, so we will have to clear all the apartments just in case and maybe while doing so we could maybe find a grill or something to cook on" said April.

"Yea I think that a good idea. I'm more or less healed so I should be able to help. I suggest you train your shadow leap or try to improve it" I said after some thoughts.

"Yea I started training it, but the skill mastery is going up slowly. It should take some time before it improves" said April.

"Oh, I didn't know there was a skill mastery, but I think outside of skill mastery you should try to find a way to make the skill yours" I replied back to April.

"I also thought about doing that, but it is easier said than done. I wanted to observe some shadow goblins for some clues, but I haven't really seen that much of them. To improve the skill outside of skill mastery is something I'll have to think about in the future" replied April.

"That seems just about right. I guess the only thing we could do right now is clear out the goblins and slowly explore outside" I said back.

"We should wait about thirty minutes before we go out" said April.

I agreed by shaking my head. For the next thirty minutes we spoke about nothing in particular abiding our time until we had to leave. When the time finally came for us to leave we took everything that we would need. I also took out all the water packs from the spatial ring to make some place for anything we find. Just in case we would need more space we took a bookbag each. With our clubs in hand and our bookbags on our backs we were ready to take on the world. We looked at each other and smiled knowing that we would come back safe.

I opened the door for us letting April out first before closing the door. While doing so I wondered if the old rule of ladies first still applied. In a few of the light novels I've read when the world was going through an apocalypse people's morale's went down the drain. They raped and pillaged everything in sight not thinking about the consequences of their actions. When I've read those novels I always felt that there was some truth to those words. Without rules I believed that people would follow their instincts instead of their brain. I hoped that I was wrong in my deductions, but from what I've learned about people behaviors I was most likely right. I just hoped that I was wrong.

"Are you coming?" asked April.

"Yea" I answered back.

We sounded like the ending of every show that ever ended. To top it off I closed the door then turned around and touched it with longing knowing that it was an end to an era. I laughed at myself thinking about the cliché moments.

"Are you coming?" asked April once again.

I ran up to April before saying "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here. Just couldn't help doing a goodbye scene."

"What are you talking about?"

"You know on the last episode of 'Friends' when they had to say goodbye for the last time."

"I never got around to finishing that show, so what happened in the end?"

"You never finished 'Friends'! I have to show you it when we get back... Wait nevermind we don't have anymore electricity. F*** you should have told me that you didn't finish watching it, we could of binged it."

April shrugged her shoulders before saying "It was an OK show and I've seen better, but really I have never truly finished a show all the way through."

"Really not even one show? Well that sucks, but for most shows you didn't miss much. Even I only finished around three shows. Anyways what usually happens in the end is that they have a heartwarming scene where the cast says all their goodbyes. They usually hug at the end and one icon scene for me is when they close the door for the last time and look at the door with some kind of longing."

"It kind of seems a bit to sad" said April.

After thinking about it for a moment I answered "it honestly is. Watching one of your favorite shows end is never a good feeling, but if you think about all the good episodes that aired you'd know that it was worth it."

We became quiet for a moment lost in our thought.

As we got out the apartment building the sunlight hit our faces warming up our bodies and effectively bringing up our moods.

"Do you want to work together or alone?" asked April.

"I'm still not one hundred percent yet, but I should be enough to handle the goblins."

"Alright we'll do that, but we'll have to stay close enough to each other to get help" said April.

"That's fair."

After some discussions we decided to start with the back of the community. Arriving in the back I seen about twenty to thirty buildings. In all honesty I thought it would be less then again, I've never gone to the back. There was never a need to go in the back. The school shuttle picked us up in the front, the big garbage thingy was in the front, and I didn't really have any friends so going to the back wasn't a priority.

 

Advertisement
Remove

Support "Age of Change"

About the author

ageofchange

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(0)
Log in to comment
Log In