Advertisement
Remove

I pump my fist in the air, whooping.

On the table is a hologram of a drone. It’s my personal summer project and had taken three weeks to complete. Three weeks!

And yet, now looking at the result, I can say that it was completely worth it!

Of course, my parents would never let me actually build the thing, considering there was a coilgun built in. I don’t care, just having the design is exhilarating!

Unlike most people, who like to go for spiders, I designed a dragon. A dragon! It looks amazing! I can’t wait to show Mom and Dad! They’re going to be so proud!

And sis too. But she’s won’t come back home until Christmas, so I have to show it to her digitally. Which takes out some of the fun in it, as I know no matter how much I hate to admit it, even in my own mind, I miss her irritating cheek pinches and hair ruffles.

I let out a deep sigh and look at my majestic dragon. It looks exactly like one, save for the metallic scales, and pitch black eyes. Oh, and the needle on its tail. That let it deliver a five thousand volt discharge.

Oh, and the design ranked around C-class, which is a big deal! Normally, kids my age would struggle to make an E-class model!

Though, I’m wondering why it’s so hard for them. It feels so fun! Fun to build, and to think of all the things they can do! So many possibilities! It’s so confusing, that the other kids can’t see that!

And annoying too. I slump back in my seat, thinking about Reid. That… punk always seems to look down on me. He makes fun of me because I’m weird that I like time with machines more than real people.

But I don’t! Wait, I might, but not with everyone! I like spending time with my family too! And Colby. He’s always fun to hang around. He doesn’t share my love of building, but he does like to make up nice little strategies. My Dad told me that he would become an amazing Tactician someday! Maybe even an A-ranked one!

Anyway, me and Colby are amazing friends, because I can build anything, and he… uh, can tell me what to build! I know that sometimes I like to go overboard. But it’s not my fault! I just love it so much!

But for this project, I had done it all by myself. That’s right, all by myself. Colby even insisted on it. He said that sometimes I should just let myself free. That’s the only way to learn new things.

But he did try to suggest that I not do the tail. And replace the coilgun with a laser. I ignored him. I knew that he had a point, but the project doesn’t! I could go overboard, and I did!

Though, I know that if I followed Colby’s suggestion, the drone would probably be B-ranked. And I was tempted, for a moment. Then I decided that C-ranking’s more than satisfying. There was no reason to go over the top.

If you come across this story on Amazon, be aware that it has been stolen from Royal Road. Please report it.

Ha! Can you build a C-ranked dragon drone, Reid! Huh!?

Then I hear the door opening.

That must be Mom and Dad!

I pick up the holo panel and run to the living room, where I find Dad laughing over something Mom said, while she (lightly) punches him on the shoulder, albeit with a grin.

My parents are very bright people. Just like me! My mother has dark brown hair, along with purple eyes. I had learned that after we understand how to alter our genome, we had opened a whole new world of possibilities when it came to the physical appearance. So, nowadays, lots of people have bright and colorful eyes. My mother also has pointed ears, which is not a very uncommon trait. She has sharp and distinct features and looks no older than thirty. Her implants are B-grade, which are very expensive for the normal citizen

But we are successful traders! My father used to be in the Admin circle, but he had left because of politics being tiring or something. His features are much more… softer compared to my mother. He has completely black eyes. Dad’s who I go to whenever I wanna do something I know Mom won’t allow. He’s much more gentle and kind. Mom’s always scolding him for that because you are either cold-hearted or poor when it comes to Trading.

My father, however, doesn’t agree. On several days he has Mom grumbling about ‘that business deal’. But his trustworthiness has garnered him a lot of reputation, so despite whatever deals, Mom bickers about, we are actually better off thanks to him.

Though, I’m always confused as to what business deal Mom’s always grumbling about.

“Mom! Dad!”

“Oh, hey kiddo. How was your day?” My father replies, half of his concentration on me and a half on a message he gets on his holo-pad.

My mother, being more attentive, immediately spots the panel in my hands. She nudges him, which I pretend not to see. Dad looks up and notices the panel at last.

“It was great! Anyway, uh, I, um, have something to show you! I… um, I made it myself!” I say, fiddling with the panel.

Both of their eyebrows raise at the same time, in pleasant surprise. My mother smiles.

“Of course, darling.”

“Great!” I say, and I activate the panel.

The hologram of the dragon appears, flying through white fluffy clouds.

“It’s a drone! And C-class too! Colby even helped run a simulation for it, yesterday!”

Both of them are staring at the drone, shocked. I think I see tears in my mother’s eyes. After what seems like an eternity, they wrap me in a tight hug.

“Oh, baby, I am so proud of you! Did you really make it yourself!” My mother says.

My father snorts.

“He’s my son. Of course, he did!”

I giggle.

“So, do you like it?” I say after they let me go, staring at them hopefully.

My father smiles.

“Definitely, kiddo. A dragon, eh? I bet you’re just one in human form.” He says.

On the outside, I keep my bright smile in place, but on the inside, I am swelling with pride. He noticed!

My Mom pats me on the head.

“I think our son’s a little genius. And as a little genius…” She trails off and gives my father a pointed look.

My father blinks in confusion and then jumps in realization. He searches in his bag, while I stare at both my parents in confusion.

My father takes out three silver prisms with the logo of a wrench imprinted on it. I gape as I try to register what is happening.

Unbelieving, I turn to Mom, who is staring at me with a knowing smile. She nods.

“Next week, the three of us are going to Cosmo tech!”

“Oh. My. God. Oh, my, god. Oh-my-god. Really? Really!? Are we really going!?”

“Yes.” Dad nods, a grin on his face. He reaches down to pat my head. “You earned it.”

Mom’s looking at the hologram, looking both worried and angry.

I frown.

“Why is there a coilgun on the drone?” She says.

My eyes widen.

“It’s uh… nothing, I just put it in there because-because uh, I thought tha-that it would look cool and uh…” I trail off as I notice that Mom’s only gotten angrier.

I look at Dad, who seems more amused than anything. Then I bolt for it.

“John Smith, little man, you will get your butt back here, right this very instant!”

Advertisement
Remove
A note from Typist kid

Well, uh, that had certainly come out different than what I had planned. Though, I have no doubt as to whether I like this version better or the previously planned one. On the other hand, I don't think I did the emotional part perfectly. I want to do it better, but in the end I just decided to revisit this chapter on a later date. I'm not exactly at tip top shape right now, and maybe a good nap will let me solve the problem.

Damn, my keyboard just got stuck.

Vote for me at topwebfiction!


About the author

Typist kid

  • A Weird Cyborg

Bio: Attack the cables.

Achievements
Comments(3)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In