Binary Soul

by

Exterminatus

Chapter 139 - Tight deadlines can be stressful things, but loose ones can be just as bad


A note from Exterminatus

Just letting you guys know I'll be taking part in the NaNoWriMo challenge (write 50k word novel by end of Nov.) right here on RRL.

I make no promises it will make sense, have a decent story, likable characters or decent grammar. I'm just planning to unleash an unfiltered stream of bullshit all over this thing. And yes, this will mean slightly slower releases for this fic.

So, if you're still ineterested, here you go - A Tower of Hats.

 

Advertisement
Remove

> Kira PoV <

“Kiressara. Ellie.” (Picorio)

“Good day, Picorio.” (Kira and Ellie)

“Ah, you two have been unifying again, haven’t you?” (Picorio)

“You can tell?” (Kira)

“It’s rather obvious once you’ve seen it a few times.” (Picorio)

Hmm… Come to think of it, the side effects do seem a bit stronger. The crushing loneliness of the separation goes away just the same, but it looks like Ellie and I are still in sync to some degree. Well, we’re pretty much always in sync anyway so it’s not a big deal.

“I assume you have something important to talk about. Please, come inside.” (Picorio)

“Thank you.” (Kira and Ellie)

Picorio guides us into his house. It looks like a massive tree stump with a door and windows. I thought he was kidding when he said he grew it himself, but it looks like I underestimated him. Not just the house. The doors, the furniture, the decor - it all looks like trees and plants that have grown into unnatural shapes. It’s not bad though. Gives the place a rather soothing atmosphere.

Maybe I should hire him to do some construction work for the Ministry?

No, let’s not. I doubt he’d agree to that anyway. He doesn’t care about anything other than Alchemy these days. I heard he even quit his adventuring team so he could focus on his potions and salves. He probably only takes two or three Rank B commissions a month just to keep his Rank A privileges. Well, our team is more or less like that as well these days.

“Please, have a seat.” (Picorio)

We sit down on some armchair-shaped trees. I don’t know what these cushions are filled with, but they’re quite comfortable. Not quite as good as Nano’s stuff though.

“Now, what brings you here?” (Picorio)

“Did you know I’m from another world?” (Kira)

“... I do now. And?” (Picorio)

He barely even flinched. Should I say, as expected?

“Well, due to some circumstances, I’ve decided to work towards creating an entirely new discipline of magic.” (Kira)

He leans back in his chair and puts a hand on his chin.

“Hmm. I see. An admirable goal. And how does that relate to me?” (Picorio)

“The thing is that, even though I have a destination, I don’t really have a starting point. After consulting with friends and family, I’ve decided to begin by expanding on my magical knowledge.” (Kira)

Picorio’s calmly smiling face turned serious in an instant. I think he’s guessed why we’re here.

“I cannot teach you Life Magic, Kiressara.” (Picorio)

I can’t say I’m surprised at his prompt refusal, but there’s more to it.

“Can you at least hear me out?” (Kira)

“Alright.” (Picorio)

“You are aware that only humans can use Barrier Magic, yes?” (Kira)

He nods.

“But at the same time, I’m not a human of this world, yet I can still use it. Because I was taught the theory and concepts behind it and was shown how to put them into practise. It is not unthinkable that the same might be possible for me to be able to use magic that humans normally are incapable of.” (Kira)

“I see. It is a reasonable conclusion, but I’m afraid Life Magic is still impossible for you. Even if you are a human from another world, you are not an elf.” (Picorio)

Wait, isn’t this situation similar to what Ariel was telling me this morning?

“Is it some sort of physical limitation?” (Kira)

“Indeed. To imbue something that is alive with magic and bend it to your will is not a simple task. More traditional schools demand you pour your mana into a focusing tool and then mould it into a spell, before invoking it with a chant.” (Picorio)

Right, that’s basic magical theory. Every spell I know is like that, more or less. Even Ariel’s Vocal Magic seems to follow this rule, only in her case the focusing tool is the secondary voice box in her throat.

“With Life Magic, the focusing tool in question is your target. A living being with its own magical signature.” (Picorio)

“Is that how it is? But wouldn’t your mana just dissipate instantly if you did that?” (Kira)

It’s like pouring oil into water. They’re both liquids, yet they don’t mix together at all. Even if you stir them up they would just separate immediately.

“It does. Your mana will disperse the instant you stop focusing on releasing it. To successfully use Life Magic, you have to be able to simultaneously pour and mould your mana. A task that is impossible unless you’re an elf. We can think about three completely different things simultaneously. Can you, as a human, do something like that?” (Picorio)

“I can, actually.” (Kira)

“... Huh?” (Picorio)

“You saw me use [Thought Echo] during that Elder Dragon incident, right? Did you not find it odd that I was able to dual-cast like that?” (Kira)

At the time I used my primary thoughts to cast spells with my staff while the secondary one did the same with the my gauntlet.

“Hmm. Indeed, there was such a thing.” (Picorio)

He closes his eyes and crosses his arms in thought. After a while he opens them back up and looks at me with a curious expression.

“Having only two thought lines ought to be enough, but it should definitely be possible.” (Picorio)

“Then, you’ll teach me?!” (Kira)

“No. I have neither the time nor the intent of teaching others about magic.” (Picorio)

Well, I can’t say that was unexpected.

“My old master, however, is another story. I will send him a letter with your request. I am confident he will not hesitate to contact you.” (Picorio)

“Oh. Oh! I see, that’s very kind of you, Picorio! I owe you big time for this!” (Kira)

“Please, Kiressara. You owe me nothing. I am merely paying back the favor from last year. I shudder to think what might have happened if it wasn’t for your assistance with the Court Wizard matter.” (Picorio)

This story has been taken without authorization. Report any sightings.

Hmm, he really doesn’t need to go that far.

“I can at least thank you, right?” (Kira)

He smiles back at me.

“You are welcome, Kiressara. Now, is there anything else I can do for you?” (Picorio)

{Ellie, ask him about the thing.}

“Ah! Actually-” (Ellie)

Ellie spoke up suddenly and reaches into one of the pouches on her belt. She’s been awfully quiet today, more so than usual. Then again, she’s more interested in magical application rather than theory.

She brings out a small metal rod with a pointy bit on one end and a button on the other. Isn’t that one of Nano’s stimpacks? No, it actually looks to be empty. Oh! Right! That thing Nano talked about at the start of the year!

“Nano and I were wondering if you could apply healing potions with this.” (Ellie)

Picorio takes the syringe and carefully looks it over.

“Hmm… This is?” (Picorio)

“The pointy part penetrates the skin. You can then press on the back to force the potion directly into the body.” (Ellie)

“Interesting. If applied directly to the injured area it might prove more effective than simply drinking it. However, traditional potions have a certain amount of pulp and residue that might clog such a tiny opening. Hmmm… I’ll have to get back to you on this one.” (Picorio)

{Tell him about Zublos.}

“Ah, be sure to ask Zublos for help if you need it.” (Ellie)

“The proprietor of that cake shop? Come to think of it, I’d heard his recipes include alchemical reagents, but I hate sweet things so I never went. Will he cooperate willingly?” (Picorio)

“He’s still part of our team. He won’t refuse an order from me. Since I’m the leader!” (Ellie)

Picorio looks at me questioningly.

“Fufu, Ellie’s taken over leadership of [Black Flame], you know.” (Kira)

A huge smile surfaces on my face whenever I say that. The way she handled herself and others while I was bedridden was excellent. I don’t think I would have been able to stay that calm if something happened to her. Not to mention she was able to keep a straight face around Yuri. I dare say she’s now a finer adventurer than I ever was! She’s become so reliable that I can hardly contain myself! Nothing less from my loving, passionate and beautiful wifey ~♡!

Ah, I shouldn’t forget to mention something!

*Ahem* Also, the Ministry of Progress will be sponsoring this little project. Just send us an invoice for any justifiable expenses and we’ll take care of it.” (Kira)

“Hmm, I see. You intend to make the results of this research public. Very well, Kiressara. There is one thing that money can’t really buy, though.” (Picorio)

“Oh?” (Kira)

“Test subjects. Developing a new potion requires a significant amount of trial and error so I will need to carry out frequent experiments to verify its effectiveness. And there’s only one way to test a healing potion.” (Picorio)

“... I think- No, I’m positive we can help you with that as well.” (Kira)

“Really? You know someone who’d willingly suffer repeated injury?” (Picorio)

“Oh yeah.” (Kira)

A job where she has to constantly get beaten up is probably a dream come true for that perverted canary. She can even heal herself with magic if things get out of hand.

In fact, I dare say she’s actually overqualified for this.

* * *

We leave Picorio’s house after confirming several details. It looks like it’ll take at least a month and a half to get a response to our request, but at least it’s a start. As for the potion research, there really is no way to tell just yet.

“What now, Kira?” (Ellie)

“I guess we need to visit the Magic Academy in the capital. Nano, how long until you’re done working on the tower?” (Kira)

{Four more days should do it. We’ll be good to fly after that.}

“And you’re sure it will work even though the top will be exposed?” (Kira)

{It will. Maybe not as good as it could be, but a noticeable improvement to be sure. Magic may be weird, but at least it’s consistent in its weirdness.}

“If you say so.” (Kira)

Covering the entire underside of the flying island with Titansteel plating feels like overkill. I still have some doubts whether it will really make the [Flight] spell inside the dirt more efficient. Nano says wrapping it in Titansteel is a sure fire way of keeping the mana from seeping out over time. It’s the key principle behind how the Mana Engine works, but the scale still worries me.

At least we won’t be running out of that metal anytime soon. Those guys over in Ecebis have been digging it out at a rather terrifying speed. It’s like no matter how much we ask for they always seem to have more of it! I can’t complain at the discounts they’re giving us. Although I doubt they’re really ‘discounts’ considering the Ministry of Progress is the only entity that’s currently buying it.

They’ll eventually run out of it though. I should look into exactly how it’s formed. Since there’s so much of it directly beneath where Draglael had been standing for centuries, it’s undoubtedly somehow related to her. She won’t tell me anything about it though. Either she doesn’t know or there’s some strings attached.

I just hope it’s not titan poop or something stupid like that. Ew. Oh my- That’s entirely possible! If she has a steel body, doesn’t that mean she’ll poop steel as well!? AAAARGH! I’ve been cooking our food with utensils made out of Titan dung!

“Kira, was that really okay?” (Ellie)

“No! It’s definitely not okay! We have to find out whether it’s poop or not right away!” (Kira)

“... What?” (Ellie)

“Ack! *Cough* Sorry Ellie. I got carried away thinking about something. Please forget what I just said.” (Kira)

“Okay! Nano?” (Ellie)

{You got it. Just give me a sec… There, done.}

...

“What, was it really that easy?!” (Kira)

“Was what easy?” (Ellie)

“I mean you- no, never mind.” (Kira)

I’m actually a bit jealous. I wish I could instantly forget I just screamed the word ‘poop’ at the top of my lungs...

“So what were you talking about?” (Kira)

“Uhm.. Oh right! Is it really okay if you can only use Life Magic during [Unity]? Didn’t that Voice say that spell didn’t count?” (Ellie)

“Nah, it should be okay. I’m only going to use that spell to analyze the magic itself. We’re after the knowledge and theory behind it.” (Kira)

I don’t even need to practice it too much, just get a good feel for it. After all, magic is something based on vague things like feelings and imagination. You can blab all you want about theory and mana and such, but unless you have first-hand experience it’ll be impossible to properly grip the concept.

That’s why some mages simply can’t use certain elements when casting spells. They’re just unable to ‘feel’ it right. That’s why it takes oddballs like me, Picorio and Ariel to qualify as Sages. Although even if we can use all the elements, we still have our own preferences and predispositions. I mean, using Wind Magic is possible for me, but Ariel is just way better at it.

“I see, I see. So rather than a limitation, our spell is a tool to help Kira get better.” (Ellie)

Ellie nods understandingly to herself. I just give her a small smile. I wonder, just how good a mage would she be if she had formal training? She soaks up everything I say like a sponge, but I wonder if I’m qualified to properly educate others on the matter…

{Incidentally, have you considered studying the healing magic at churches?}

“I have, but it takes many years of training to harness the power of the sun or moons. Also a lot of knowledge of the human body if you want to properly help it heal.” (Kira)

{I think you should look into it at some point.}

“Maybe. Like I said it takes a long time. Decades in some cases. Ariel’s been a cloistered sister pretty much her whole life, you know?” (Kira)

Besides, I’m not convinced it’ll help us. It’s a school of magic pretty much any mage can learn if given enough time.

{I just hope you make up your mind within the next 15 years, 3 months, 15 days, 7 hours and 43 minutes.}

That was oddly specific. Also he seems unnaturally pushy today.

“What’s this really about, Nano?” (Kira)

{You said that the Church of Khamis used the power of the two moons to cleanse curses and heal wounds, right?}

Well, I know that’s vague, but it’s pretty much all I know about it. Both churches keep their magical practices quite confidential, after all.

“Right. What about it?” (Kira)

{Well, you might miss your chance if you wait around too long.}

“What?” (Kira)

{I’ve been studying images of the night sky from the past 14 months. I imagine the positions of the moons are somehow relevant to how much magical power the Priests of Khamis can really exert. So I’ve been tracking and analyzing their orbits.}

I see, that’s very much a possibility. Ariel’s healing magic does seem to wane somewhat during the night, now that I think about it.

{And after running some simulations, I found out the two moons will crash into each other precisely 15 years, 3 months, 15 days, 7 hours and 41 minutes from now.}

“... WHAT?!” (Kira)

{Just thought I’d let you know. Wouldn’t want you to miss your chance at learning that magic, after all.}

Advertisement
Remove

Support "Binary Soul"

About the author

Exterminatus

  • Chestiest Chest That Ever Chested

Bio: I'm a programmer, a mythical creature that survives completely on beer and cynicism. We skulk in the dark, secretly cursing and despising everyone else. Especially other programmers.

Achievements
Comments(34)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In