Advertisement issues reports

Hello everyone,

Recently we’ve made a few changes in the ads of the website to increase our resources in order to speed up the development of RoyalRoad. However, we know that a lot of new issues have appeared alongside old ones, such as slow page load, high usage of bandwidth on mobile due to video ads and automatic redirect.

We don’t want these to happen. The RoyalRoad team wants to provide the best experience for the users and, while we don’t (yet) have the option of an ad-free experience, we need your help. It’s pretty simple:

1 - If you encounter any of the issues mentioned, Click this

2 - Fill out the form. It shouldn’t take you more than 2 minutes.

Please fill in your real username or email as we’ll contact you if we need more information.

UPDATE: Some changes have already been made, but keep on sending us reports. The more information you can give, the better. If you're being redirected, make sure of giving us the URL of the website you were redirected to, otherwise we can't locate the company providing the ads.

Thanks for helping RRL’s improvement!
The RoyalRoad Admin team.

EDIT: We'd be glad if our more tech-savvy users could read and follow the instructions of the following post: http://royalroadl.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=90815&pid=803886#pid803886

This helps us find not only the landing pages but the redirects as well for these ads, and this way we can block them faster.

RE: Advertisement issues reports

Excess advertisement is the reason for some of the newer mobile browsers that block nearly every ad. I can take a few ads, but not to the point where the site I'm trying to accessing basically not accessible.

Right after the RR swap I had alot of partial and slow page loading and the occasional page crash, but that hasnt happened much lately.

9/4/2016 5:01:52 PM Wrote: [ -> ]Excess advertisement is the reason for some of the newer mobile browsers that block nearly every ad. I can take a few ads, but not to the point where the site I'm trying to accessing basically not accessible.

Sadly, the reverse is also true. The number of users blocking ads is making the number of websites adding even more ads increase.

We're not going to do that. And it takes a lot of effort to avoid that path and still being able to gather resources to invest on RRL.

9/4/2016 5:01:52 PM Wrote: [ -> ]Right after the RR swap I had alot of partial and slow page loading and the occasional page crash, but that hasnt happened much lately.

It's good to know it has reduced. We and our advertisement managers have been working hard to provide a better user experience for you guys. The dwindling number of reports still show there's been improvements as well. But we'll keep on working to improve and reduce those issues even more.

9/4/2016 7:33:16 PMcurvinho Wrote: [ -> ]
9/4/2016 5:01:52 PM Wrote: [ -> ]Excess advertisement is the reason for some of the newer mobile browsers that block nearly every ad. I can take a few ads, but not to the point where the site I'm trying to accessing basically not accessible.

Sadly, the reverse is also true. The number of users blocking ads is making the number of websites adding even more ads increase.

It's only going to have a negative effect and you know it. More ads would end up annoying the users, which resulted in more users turning to Adblock.

9/5/2016 1:46:03 PMSilvaLau Wrote: [ -> ]It's only going to have a negative effect and you know it. More ads would end up annoying the users, which resulted in more users turning to Adblock.

Or even worse, reduced site traffic overall.

On my Ipad, I timed it the other day to see how long it took for me to fully load a page from the site... 30 seconds.

I can now see why some people prefer long chapters over short chapters when it comes to reading. If I were to spend 30 seconds sitting, waiting, starting at the screen, to see 600 words and pass through them so quickly, I'd be frustrated with the length as well.

On my PC, where I run adblocker religiously, I can flip through pages in less than a second. On my iPad, it's 30 seconds. On my wife's Kindle... it's so long she absolutely refuses to even browse the site or read one of my chapters anymore. She'll get up, leave the couch, go in the other room, and read on her PC rather than deal with the Kindle anymore.

Where I used to log in several dozen times a day on my Ipad to check reader comments so I could respond to them, I no longer do that. I wait until I'm at my desk and check and respond via my PC so I don't have that uber-lag between each page load. My wife won't log in at all anymore on her Kindle.

Surely we're not the only people affected by the load times for many of these videos and ads.

Maybe you guys should start to think about offering an ad-free version of the site for registered members who are willing to pay a little extra money. Hulu does it -- for $4.00 more a month, you can watch their shows ad free!

I'd be willing to pay $3.99 to be excluded from the ads on the site, just so I'd have access to it via my mobile devices once more, without having to deal with the loading times from all the video/graphical ads.

Ya, ive been using my cell to read, last month i went over my data limit by 4 gigs, and all i do is read on this site. My load times used to me near instant, now only parts of the site pages load and it takes like 10 seconds, plus ive been getting large section of white out areas where the page doesn't load. This doesn't happen on any other site.  Using chrome mobile.

Not to sure what changed, but while reading "science of magic" the page would constantly have a page load error. After reloading (15-25 seconds) it would either be fine or fail again after a few seconds. I think it's the video/moving ads causingthe issue. I don't know the code but maybe a Java script error. I also get a GL script failure a few times before that so I'll try to screen shot that.

The white out error, in my experience, is only found on v very long chapter posts 40k+ words. I suspect its our moblie browers not liking the amount of page data. Waiting and refreshing the page was what I had to do to fix it.

Also editing a post is a major pain on my older phone KitKat OS, as I can't scroll or size the body of my post as I'm typing. I managed to use the word select to move with the box but it's difficult to see what I'm typing. Not a huge concern as I don't normally post but the sheer number of errors and load failures prompted me to contribute.

9/8/2016 3:05:55 AMmufarasu Wrote: [ -> ]This is why it's a problem.

My ad-blocker says it blocks 65+ ads every time you load a page. Fucking ridiculous.

The 65 ads are in fact not 65 ads, but 65 places to check where to get the 3-4 ads from on the page. Those are not significant performance issue by themselves, it's the badly written code amongst the 3-4 ads. As sad as it is, writing ads if a job for programmers, but they are given to people with little to no idea how they work.

Also, the severity of the advertising we have is proportional to the percentage of ad blocking users we have. We need money to run the site and develop new features (which should get released real soon), and we do that from the ad revenue. Blocking the ads forces us to to use more ads, or get ads from more places (which makes it harder to control what we get) to compensate.

Some of those malicious redirects

http://trx.3tswiyx7.pw/click/1

http://us.y752o9io.pw/global06/0_index0.php?brand=Samsung&model=Galaxy%20Light&ip=72.184.255.5

http://cv3rz.redirectvoluum.com/redirect?target=BASE64aHR0cDovL3RyYWNraW5nLmxlbnpteC5jb20vY2xpY2s_bWJfcGw9YW5kcm9pZCZtYl9udD1jYjg2NDkmbWJfY2FtcGlkPXRhcF9jbGVhbl91c18zMjIzMCZhZmZfc3ViPWRJSTJESUFCTUc0SUI5SlZHUlRHRkU3QQ&ts=1473498125208&hash=114AsG9wHZzOpKuU7r4Us0xmdNbolRXea7dkSaQN5B0&rm=DJ

Status update: We've sent out emails to all of our advertisers given the ever-increasing number of reports; we're giving them 24-48 hours to screen the ads we're getting; if they don't comply, we'll disable all of them and enable them one by one, monitoring for ~24 hours each. We believe it's probably one or maybe two advertisers failing to properly screen their ads.
New Reply