Bot 0.5 Star Reviews

Look.

I'm not the best writer. I believe my works aren't as good as I would love to believe.

But I knew there was something wrong when repeated 0.5 reviews showed up on two of my works without explanation. I just want to know; is there any way by which one can check out who rated your work? Because I know that these works deserve at least a two star with explanation, not random 0.5 reviews.

Thanks.

Godspeed, 
Kurorin

RE: Bot 0.5 Star Reviews

I was a victim of this too. I don't think it's a bot, but in the same day, every single one of my stories got a 0.5 rating in the space of a few minutes. And they are pretty long, so I'm pretty sure the guy didn't even bother to read them before rating them 0.5.

I don't know if it's a bot or someone trying to undermine the competition (and I honestly am not bothered with competition), but the only way is to suck it up and not care about ratings too much.

There's unfortunately a lot of immature people on here, because this website is freely available on the web. Some people will give you low ratings just because of your categories. For instance, maybe you wrote a Lit-RPG and this person really hates Lit-RPG so they give anything that has the Lit-RPG tag an instant 0.5 star review. Or possibly they're somebody who's just really bitter that your story has a higher rating than they think it deserves, so they give you a really low rating to try and bring your score down to where they think it should be.

I was just checking my novel and saw the same thing too. It happened on the 28/02/2018 according to the stats chart. I really would like to think its a glitch and not some idiot trying to bring down other peoples hard work to to make theirs climb the ladder and look good. It should not be too difficult for those in RoyRd to find the cause anyway.
If a reader is doing it just because they hate a particular genre then kudos to them for stepping onto the path of insanity. Only someone with lots of free time and an unstable mind would try to attempt this sort of action.
Go brave my friend, go brave...

Honestly, I faced the same kind of problems when I was new here. Assuming that all of you are new, here's my two cents how to keep your sanity when facing this kind of problems.

1. Currently, there is no way to check who rated you. You could only check those who reviewed you. So, for those who rated you only, you might find that 0.5 stars very irritating and unnerving and not to mention demotivating. But my question for you is this,

"Why do you write?"

If you write just for the star rating sakes, I'm sure you could not go to sleep thinking about those 0.5 stars.

Hey, I had this problem too when I started out last 2 months ago. It's a period of bedding in. Once you are through, you will not bother much about those stars. Trust me. 

There are many reasons why people give you 0.5 stars rating or reviews (these two are not the same, mind you). And people would abuse these ratings. I hope you don't go into part-time psychologists and tried to unravel the mysteries behind their workings. It's not worth it.

Instead of focusing on stars, focus on these two instead:
1. The number of your followers
2. The numbers of favourites
3. The total views. (oh, that's three but whatever)

And here, I quoted an old message back in 2016:

12/21/2016 11:45:00 PMGuyOnACouch Wrote: [ -> ]Picture this:
You've started to get a bit of a following, and I mean less than 100 actual followers, and so far you're getting nothing but good feedback and 2 or 3 4/5 Star reviews. Sure, you're having a bit of a hard time getting friends, family, or even just people in your Facebook group to actually leave a review, but at least you're sitting there knowing that people are liking what you put up.
Then it happens.
You think nothing of it at first, it's obviously a glitch. You know that's a lie you're telling yourself, but so far only people you don't know have reviewed the story and they all think it's great.
But not this one.
They've hit you with the 0.5 Star.
Your overall ranking drops, the Stars go from 4.5 to just under 3, less people are reading your story.
You've failed.
You were never a good author, your life's a lie, you should quit before anything else bad can happen.
Everyone lied to you so you'd feel better, even those random readers, they all hated it.
You're an idiot. You're a failure. You should destroy your laptop and accept that you should return to your old job.
But then there's a glimmering of hope, a message from someone from the other side of the world who likes your work and thinks you should press on.
You force yourself to write, you were arrogant, you go to read the negative review but discover there's none.
Funny, if someone really hated it to that degree, wouldn't they have explained what they didn't like, or at the very least tried to warn others away?
Is it a troll?
Is it another author trying to sabotage you?
Or is it someone who genuinely didn't like it you arrogant prick?
Does it matter?
I don't think it does.
Write for that one person on the other side of the world, write for those who have followed it.
Ignore the hate, but listen to the feedback.
You can be a great writer.
You just have to write.

The link is here if you wanted to read more: https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=97054

3/8/2018 10:27:15 AMacederequiza Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I faced the same kind of problems when I was new here. Assuming that all of you are new, here's my two cents how to keep your sanity when facing this kind of problems.

1. Currently, there is no way to check who rated you. You could only check those who reviewed you. So, for those who rated you only, you might find that 0.5 stars very irritating and unnerving and not to mention demotivating. But my question for you is this,

"Why do you write?"

If you write just for the star rating sakes, I'm sure you could not go to sleep thinking about those 0.5 stars.

Hey, I had this problem too when I started out last 2 months ago. It's a period of bedding in. Once you are through, you will not bother much about those stars. Trust me. 

There are many reasons why people give you 0.5 stars rating or reviews (these two are not the same, mind you). And people would abuse these ratings. I hope you don't go into part-time psychologists and tried to unravel the mysteries behind their workings. It's not worth it.

Instead of focusing on stars, focus on these two instead:
1. The number of your followers
2. The numbers of favourites
3. The total views. (oh, that's three but whatever)

And here, I quoted an old message back in 2016:

12/21/2016 11:45:00 PMGuyOnACouch Wrote: [ -> ]Picture this:
You've started to get a bit of a following, and I mean less than 100 actual followers, and so far you're getting nothing but good feedback and 2 or 3 4/5 Star reviews. Sure, you're having a bit of a hard time getting friends, family, or even just people in your Facebook group to actually leave a review, but at least you're sitting there knowing that people are liking what you put up.
Then it happens.
You think nothing of it at first, it's obviously a glitch. You know that's a lie you're telling yourself, but so far only people you don't know have reviewed the story and they all think it's great.
But not this one.
They've hit you with the 0.5 Star.
Your overall ranking drops, the Stars go from 4.5 to just under 3, less people are reading your story.
You've failed.
You were never a good author, your life's a lie, you should quit before anything else bad can happen.
Everyone lied to you so you'd feel better, even those random readers, they all hated it.
You're an idiot. You're a failure. You should destroy your laptop and accept that you should return to your old job.
But then there's a glimmering of hope, a message from someone from the other side of the world who likes your work and thinks you should press on.
You force yourself to write, you were arrogant, you go to read the negative review but discover there's none.
Funny, if someone really hated it to that degree, wouldn't they have explained what they didn't like, or at the very least tried to warn others away?
Is it a troll?
Is it another author trying to sabotage you?
Or is it someone who genuinely didn't like it you arrogant prick?
Does it matter?
I don't think it does.
Write for that one person on the other side of the world, write for those who have followed it.
Ignore the hate, but listen to the feedback.
You can be a great writer.
You just have to write.

The link is here if you wanted to read more: https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=97054

Hey, thanks! I'll take note of this!
New Reply